Best State in the US for catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by alienascii, Sep 30, 2009.

1. alienascii

alienascii New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I spent alot of time in Memphis, TN growing up, and I remember the fantastic catfishing. my late dad used to fish the Mississippi between Memphis, tn and west Memphis Arkansas. That probably explains how I got the catfish bug living in Colorado... :roll_eyes:

Anyways, I might be moving back to TN soon and it got me wondering, where are the best places in the US to catch catfish?

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Good post as far as large channel's go Clear lake Ca. Has one of the best fisher's there is for lake channel's.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Texas has got a purty good record. oklahoma a close second. then mississippi valley, then the carolinas

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would say MO,TX,TN and GA would be my top 4 if i had to choose. I may have missed some really good places tho.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to go with TN/KY. So many bodies of water to choose from with these two states. As a matter of fact, just look at Padukah (spelling). This city is on the Ohio river and just a short drive from the Mississippi/TN/Cumberland rivers. Catfishermans paradise.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For world record blues, Alton, Illinois gets my vote.

7. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In Fisherman magazine ranked the MN River as the #1 trophy flathead river in the country. The Red River of the north is the #1 channel cat fishery on earth and this river is on the western border of MN (although the spectacular fishing isn't until Winnipeg).

But the only blues we got is the kind that you sing....

So MN is close to being #1, but don't tell anyone that...all we got here are walleyes :wink:

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    for channel cat, yeah I'd say the red river has that hands down,except for the shorter prime fishing season.

Flatheads, well there are lots of good flathead spots,but I'd say kansas would be a good place to start.

As for blues,I think that tennesse,and the area and the carolinas and that area would be about equal,southern illinios is good too. blues might be hard to name just one state.

The Southern states have a big advantage here as the water remains warmer year round and the fish grow yearround,where up north the fishes metabolism completely shuts down and growth pretty much stops for 5 months of the year.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Voting KY . We got em all ! Blues Cumberland ,Tennesse river . Tri fecta on ohio and Green rivers . Heck anywhere there is water that ain't a trout stream . To a lesser degree and smaller sizes we also have the rare white catfish which most people don't care about ....

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    for blues I'd have to say either Tennessee's cumberland river or virginia's james river, channels Minnesota's red river, and flathead there's several but I'd say either Kansas, Missouri, or Tennessee

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    South Carolina!

Flat, blues, and channels!

12. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Since Tennessee is the only place that I have fished I would have to say Tennessee.

13. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Had good luck in South Carolina..Santee...And in the Altamaha River in Ga..But the best place to fish for cats is .....where there's water!!!!

14. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Big blue catfish I have to go with the Mississippi River.

15. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Radish, from the looks of the wall behind you, we would need to ask you where the best turkey hunting is also!!! :wink:

16. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I would have to say OK, Ohio, TN, LA, Mississipi, then the carolinas. Wish NC was but i dont think so. GA has some biggins, and CA and TX for bass def. There are MONSTER bass in CA and TX

17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee

I agree. I feel blessed to live in TN. I am right smack dab in the middle of hunting and fishing paradise.

18. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    OHIO !!!:confused2::sad2::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

19. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I live in indiana....but im gonna say kentucky....the ohio river, kentucky river, tennessee river, green river, mississippi river....do i need to go on?

20. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Mississippi River is the best river for the monsters hands down.But South Carolina aint no slouch.We hold the channel record,and have held the blue record.Not many places can say that.