Best spots in the U.S. to fish in Nov

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by nuthinlikeacat, Sep 21, 2005.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    To all the fellow brothers out there. Being MN is slow fishing in early Nov, I was thinking about taking a road trip somewhere to try and catch a biggen. We don't have any blues up here, so i'd like to catch one.
    Also, how much does a weekend license cost for a non-resident in your state?

2. Sean

Sean New Member

State:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Arizona has some decent fishing, and our water temperature stays up there even throughout the winter. A 5 day liscence is $26.00, here's a link to the state regulations. http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/fishing_regs_w_maps.pdf

edit: sorry we don't have Blues here, just flatheads. You might want to look at Oklahoma for blues, from what I understand there are some nice ones there.

3. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Thanks for the info. If I went somewhere that didnt have blues then so be it, I would just like to catch some of those big kittys you brothers have down there.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you want to catch big blues go to Santee or my personal pick would be the James river in Virginia.That would be your best chance at a plus 50 lb blue and Nov is prime time.If you can afford it hire a guide.The guides on the James insist on catch and release for all big fish and they have a mercury advisory in any case.It would be warmer at Santee and you would have a good chance to catch some stripers and a decent flathead there.Again just for numbers of big fish the James is it.I have pictures somewhere of a guide friend of mine with his brother after fighting and landing 4 count em four 50lb plus blues all on at the same time.Hard to tell who looks more whipped the fish or the fisheman.

5. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    Right here on the Cape Fear river in North Carolina, Some of the biggest fish i have ever seen been pulled out of there during the colder months

6. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Do either of you off hand know how much a non resident license would cost?

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I plan of fishing the Rock River in Illinois soon. I don't know how much the license is there, but I do know that it is loaded with big cats. It is located in the northern part of the state, so it may be pretty cold in November. You may want to go somewhere down south. Good luck!

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Lake Livingston near Livingston, Texas is a pretty good catfishing lake. Heard that Pine Island in the lake is a great place for blues. Some people camp at Wolf Creek Park and fish there. Below the dam is pretty good too, especially for bigger cats. But, like a lot of dam tailraces, be prepared to fight or run. Catch a fish and everyone in the area will try to move in on your spot.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    nutin, you may try here in London,Arkansas. We have a nuclear plant here that have a hot water outlet. The fish stack-up here in winter. I saw a 16,18, and 14 pound blue that came from here last winter. also striper fishing can be good also.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Any spot can be a good spot.

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i have saw pics in the local paper of some 40 to 60 lb flatties and blues that come out of hartwell in the late fall before winter but it is a deep pretty clear lake and hard to fish. the guys that fish for them that time of yr are pretty tight lipped about where and how they do it though.

12. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Thank you all for the advise. maybe I'll have to make a longer than expected roadtrip ;)

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Illinois is $23.50 per year for a non-resident license, and is good from April 1st to March 31st the following year. I'm not sure about SC, or AR. Iowa is $39.50 for a non-resident, and Missouri is $35.50 for a non-resident for a year. Missouri has some excellent places to fish. If you plan on fishing the Mississippi River, buy an Illinois license. It's good as long as you are not in a creek or river in Iowa, or Missouri.

I love to fish in MN, but it's usually for fish with teeth. There are a few of us here who live near both the Rock and Mississippi rivers in the Quad City area. The man to talk to in this area for the Rock is Schoe(Robert Schoemaker) He fishes the dead falls, and sloughs. He's caught quite a few fish this summer, including the nice flattie in his profile pic.

Ray

14. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    come down here to the james in virginia in late november .. i'll take you out and show you the ropes

a good day will leave you sore and wanting more

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

The last time a guy told me that..... :eek:

I'd personally love to have the money to go to the James River, or to Santee Cooper, or Arizona, lake Texacoma, but it's just not possible. It takes two of us to pay for a one week trip to MN. As strange as it sounds, I like finding new places in my own state, and with in a 2-3 hour drive.

Ray

16. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    agrees with godzooks on the lake livingston below the dam they have a cable stretched across the river 300 yards down and you cant go past that cable if your caught crossing it they fine ya ya almost have to have a surf rod to get up close to the dam I have seen huge cats and hybred strips pulled out of their oh and dont leave your spot till your done fishing someone else will get it lol

17. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Thanks guys....
    I agree with you rainman, the only bad thing about it is right now here in MN it's getting down in the lower 40's at night, and I hate going out when it starts getting any colder than that... Being the lakes don't freeze up until early Dec, I have about a month to wait.

I had plans to go and take a trip and do some salt water fishing, but that all went in the sh*tter with gas prices the way they are. Would cost more to drive there and back than the charter itself :sad:

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You could always come down to Kentucky. The Ohio River is great for big cats. There is also Dale Hollow and Lake Cumberland, not necessarily known for big cats but they are there. You could always fish the Ohio River in another state too that would be closer to home. Sorry, I could not find non-res fishing price.