Best spots for bigheads

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Seth, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    With snagging season coming up, I want to find out what the best hide outs for bighead asian carp are. I snag on the Osage at Bonnots Mill, Mari-Osa, below Bagnell, and Wardsville. Also, might try down at Gasconade City where the Gasconade enters the Missouri.

Which places would you recommend for having the biggest numbers and best chance to snag a whole boat load of them? Is the Missouri River the best place or is the Osage/Gasconade better?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know about the gasconade, but virtually everywhere I went last summer there were bigheads everywhere. The most I saw were up at Brunswick where the Grand meets the Missouri. I would think that any Mo. river tributary is going to be filled to the brim with them. Good luck snaggin'! Get 'em all...don't leave any behind.LOL!

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Seth,
    I'm on the Osage at Mari-Osa delta and we didin't see the bighead carp last year without the high water. I'm not sure if the asian carp run the bottom like the spoonbill do. When the water was high and the Missouri was backing up into the Osage we had them coming up river by the hundreds. They were cruising on top of the water with their mouths wide open. I shot a bunch with the bow. I have never seen any of the snagers out from my dock bring in the carp, but they would put up a pretty good fight if you could snag them.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    when the water warms up all you got to do is go inside allmost any trail dike and watch them jump. I saw a few yesterday at weldon springs in that kind of water. calm. In fact last summer I saw them in the swift water outside the trail dikes.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Bighead carp aren't the ones you see jumping - those are silver carp, not quite as big as the bigheads. I don't know of anyone who's had any real success in snagging either kind - they move way too fast and are way too spooky to get very close to.

Whatever you do, just make sure none of them you catch goes back into the water alive.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm suprised that nobody has very good success snagging asian carp. We always hit a half a dozen or so when we go snag the Osage. It's hard to bury a hook in one good enough to land though unless we have our big surf rods out.

One of my coworkers husband snags the Missouri between Hermann and New Haven and slays the carp, but I am not sure exactly where at. I guess he just snags behind wing dikes. Last year he hit 25 in one outing. They ranged 10-30 pounds probably too.

7. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    During the spring snag season, we catch a lot of bigheads of 20 to 40 lbs and a few bigger below Dam 22 on the Mississippi. They are so strong in the tailwater that I have seen guys share the rod during landing. Sometimes they are on for 45 minutes to an hour. I use 80lb braid with a mono leader and you need a reel with capacity to let the fish run. They are fun. Come up some time. He's right, the silvers are the best jumpers. They try to jump up the locks at the dam and can really fly. They run a bit smaller at 10 - 18 lbs up here. I keep waiting for that 75+. Maybe this year. Until you hook one of these big ones, it is hard to imagine how quick they can spool you. Hannibal Mike

8. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you plan to do with all those carp?

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Hopefully used as "Bait":cool2:

10. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kill em' all hopefully!

In the state of Minnesota it is actually illegal to release a carp live after catching one.

Get your bow rigs ready and lets slay them--for the sake of the river!!

11. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    In my neck of the woods were not allowed 2 snag.. We use trot line hooks with white or yellow curly tails and they'll actually hit them. Drop shot rigs work well. Inadvertantly you'll snad a couple. Broke 2 rods last year and caught 10 over 30. Killed every one..

Dru

12. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Oh I plan on eating them. I found some instructions on how to get a boneless fillet off of them. Another thing I want to try also is cooking the meat in a pressure cooker to dissolve the bones and then make fish patties out of them, just like you do with salmon patties. A coworkers husband does this with the carp they catch and she loves them, and she is a picky eater too.

I have ate them before and they are delicious, just have to be careful not to get stuck by bones.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Idling behind the wing dykes and using my Lowrance, I can snag into an asian every two passes. I've done it many, many times. When snagged, they rip the drag like theres no tomorrow. Absolutely some of the strongest fish in the river. In fact, I burned the gears out of a Penn 310 this past year while snagging for bait. Perhaps the asians arnt as thick up that way as they are down here. Behind any given wing dyke here on the Mississippi River, Its not uncommon to paint 200-300 fish on my equipment. We hit one wall this past year where I spooked them and had 25 fish airborn at the same time. 3 Of them landed in the boat. One broke my rod holder in the back, and one cracked my windscreen. We just run at a fast idle behind the dykes while the snagger stays on the back of the boat. We keep running through the school until they scatter then we simply go to the next one. Your fish finder will show you which walls they are stacked up on. I'm going to capture a picture on my Lowrance next time and post it on here. Its quite a sight to see 200 15-50 pound fish on one screen. The best time to snag the asians in the dead heat of the day as they stack up in the deep holes behind the dykes. Its a blast to catch them, but they are he!! on your boat and its accessories, not to mention a little dangerous. Good Luck.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I think you're right - they're not as thick up here around KC, at least not in my experience. We'll stir some up now and then behind a dyke or in some dead water, but it's unusual to see more than a few jumping at the same time, even when you're trying to make them go crazy. Certainly I don't recall ever seeing them in the hundreds on the graph at any point.

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty,
    Around here they really get stacked up in the Kaw. Now I don't know about marking hundreds of them on the sonar but I've seen spots were We'll have 10-15 in the air at the same time.

16. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I perfer to "snag" (shoot) the silvers and bigheads with my bowfishin rig. The silvers and bigheads are taking over the Missouri river, competing with native fish such as shad, paddle fish and all other filter feeders. Mr T is correct that the bigheads dont have the jump reflex as silvers and do in fact grow larger. Anyway, their both exotics that potentially can and will change the ecosystem of any water they are found. They do make good bait but please kill any that jump in your boat.