best spot to fish the east highline canal?

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by dhines, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i have some friends coming down from LA, and i want to take them fishing. as many of you may know, i usually fish the central main . . . mostly due to proximity to my house in calexico. honestly, when i am alone trading great fishing action for a little slower fishing along with a 3 minute car drive seems like a good deal.

;)

but seeing that my buddies are the 4 hour trek for fishing, i want to give them the best experience possible . . . meaning, i don't think the central main will cut it. my thinking is the east highline is the way to go, but i am not sure what part of it to fish. anyone have recommendations on the east highline? not only where, but with regards to bait, does stink bait work well on the east highline? i use stink bait 90% of the time on the central main and find that the current is slow enough to not strip it off the bait holder too quickly. the 2 or 3 times that i have gone to east highline the current seemed too fast for stinkbait. is that true?

couple other things, there is a stretch of the east highline where the waters are slow at the headwaters (in between the initial AAC drop off and just before another drop that follows about 200 - 300 yards later, just before the merging of the two canals coming off the AAC). is that a good place to land cats? i would think stink bait would work well there. i also seem to notice that folks like to fish the point where the two canals meet to form the east highline. my question would be, is that spot popular because it is easy to get to, or because it lands good fish?

btw, if anyone has any tips on where to land eater gills (in the east highline), i would appreciate it. i have heard there are a couple of spots, but i have no idea where they are.

thanks,

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    after looking at that map, the best way to describe it would be as follows:

the east highline is the most eastern canal that passes through farmland for its entire length. there is one canal that is more east of the 'east highline', but it originates from the desert (this is the crochella canal). another way to put it (and probably a better description), look at where the farmland borders with the desert . . . the canal that forms that border is the east highline.

hope that makes sense

btw . . .

in the past when i fished the east highline, i always fished it at its source from the AAC. this can be found on the map south of the 98.

4. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    I know guys that normally do real well off of montgomery rd and use stink bait as well, but from what I have heard is that the fishing has been slow for them as well. My best luck with the channels has been on the coachella canal starting off at noffsinger rd out of niland. The channels there run small, but they are plentiful and you also have a good chance of catching a 10+ lber as well. I will fish at each ladder and fish for 30min or so, unless I am still getting bites, then I will stay longer. After I am done I will move down to the next ladder , and so on and so forth.

5. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i tried the croachella near niland and found it to be fenced off . . . is my memory failing me?

btw, when you say 'small' what size are you referring to? as i enjoy catching channels that are eaters (4 - 8 lbs).

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Doug, where the canals come together right at start of east highline is a great spot, if your able to get down to point now. it's built up so darn much and last time i was there, have to park aways back from the point. i've caught and friends have caught several nice flatheads straight out from the point.
    if you go down the east side 150 yds or so, will find old side canal coming in and slight drop with water usually going into east highland. (sometimes even a porta potty off to right) i caught my avator right there.
    gary

7. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    nice, thanks so much. i will try it out this weekend.

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the infor Doug... I looked a little in my RV and found the Imperial map and now "see" things a little better....as well....

Bayrunner Ray

9. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    It is fenced a few miles north of niland, but if you take noffsinger rd out and fish south it is not fenced. The small ones are 3/4lb to 2lb

10. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    The area right at the point is where I usually start fishing at and work my way down stream from there. I have pullled some nice channels out of area just past point from the west bank and I have used bluegill and caught flatheads in the section right below the generating diversion drop (the one on the east). Problem with fishing the point is that if you do hook a big flat head your gonna have to use heavy line to muscle em out as you wont be able to "walk em down stream" to tire em out. If you do fish the east bank of the east highline be carefull lots of soft sand pits really a bear to dig out of if you have only 2wd. The west bank is firmer and just as good for fishing.

May see you out there this weekend I am planning to fish that area if friend doesnt get his boat running to head to La Jolla kelp beds for cudas n sand bass.

11. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    looks like i will be in the LA area this weekend. i will be heading to the IV on monday and be stayhing there for a week. you available to hit the east highline next week?