best spot to bank fish a river?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by josh long, Oct 10, 2009.

1. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    I am fairly new to catfishing, and don't have a boat. I live right where the kaskaskia and mississippi come together. I was wondering where would you guys go to bank fish on a river that you don't know that much about?

2. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Welcome to the BOC Josh. Surprised someone hasn't give you some good info yet. I usually lake fish so my advise may not be good advise.

3. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    i fish small rivers, i look for sharp bends, and cut banks,water is deeper, also logjambs & try to drop bait in front, up ,from it so that current carries it under logs, behind big logs or rocks/boulders. i live on a long, straight, stretch of river with none of these things close, but it has a sandbar that runs straight as well in the middle water is maybe 1-2 ft deep ive been having luck putting bait on that ,right at dark for a couple hours, also places where creeks dump into river, below beaverdamns, hope this helps, these are things i look for.

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey man welcome to the boc first of all...second of all fish the mouth of the river that dumps into the other...thats where i would start from the bank. big fish sometimes get thick in the mouths of small feeder rivers because of the bait and what not that will get washed out of it. not to mention it normally makes a deep hole.

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
  6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. I only bank fish the Mississippi around here. I guess it depends on which species cat you are looking for, and how big. I can only offer suggestions in regard to fishing for blues. I believe deep water with a nice current is the best spots for blues. I would also look for spots which hold bait fish. I would also recommend fishing as close to the dam as you can, if there is one near you. I can't offer much info in regard to flatheads, but I think calm and shallow water with max structure is what you are looking for. As a rule, cut bait for blues and live bait for flatheads, that's all I know. You will get plenty of good info on this site. Good luck.

7. josh long

josh long New Member

State:
    Evansville, Illinois
    thanks for the input. another thing is that in the miss. there are spots with pretty fast current, is there too fast of current? and are there holes too deep? I have had people tell me to fish off the end of dikes and out there it gets DEEP and the current is screaming by. if I was a fish i don't think that is where I would l be!

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You might want to rethink that!!!:wink: