best spot in minnesota to catch flatheads

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Feb 19, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    in your opinion wheres the best place in minnesota to go and fish for flatheads?? thanks!!

2. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Depends if you want numbers or trophies. Year in and out, the biggest fish seem to come from a stretch from Chaska to Mankato on the MN river.

There are monsters in the Mississippi and St Croix, but a lot of water to cover.

3. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    IM GOING TO BE COMIN UP THERE AND FISHING THIS YEAR...DONT WORRY I DONT KEEP ANY FISH I CATCH...ALL ARE PICTURED AND RELEASED...CAUGHT A COUPLE 30 POUNDERS LAST TIME UP THERE BUT BOTH CAME AT THE BLUE EARTH DAM...I DIDNT HAVE MUCH LUCK BANK FISHING IN LA SEUR ON THE MINNESOTA...THIS TIME IM BRINGIN A BOAT...BY THE WAY NICE PIC IN UR AVATAR...HOW BIG WAS HE??

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    gonna have to disagree with DTRO on that one, even though the majority of our big fish are caught out of the same boat. (I was on vacation when he nailed his pig in his Avatar) For me the biggest seem to come from the 494 on the MISS all the way up the MN to Chaska.
    Big waters hold big fish.
    Good luck this summer
    thanks
    Larry

5. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    IS THERE ANY PLACES ON THE MINNESOTA THAT HAVE A BAITSHOP NEAR THE RIVER?? SOMEWHERE WHERE I COULD CALL AND CHECK RIVER LEVELS B4 I HEAD UP?? I FISHED AT BLUE EARTH LAST TIME TOO AND I WAS TOLD IT DIDNT HOLD MANY FLATHEADS BUT I CAUGHT 2 30 POUNDERS AT THE DAM...ANYONE FISH THE BLUE EARTH RIVER??

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    There are some shops in Mankato that would probably be able to help you out.
    Otherwise check out USGS web site, they list river levels pretty regular.

7. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    OK THANKS A LOT...WHAT ALL BAITS ARE LEGAL TO USE IN MINNESOTA??? BULLHEADS SHAD CHUBS SUCKERS...ANYTHING ELSE??

8. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ALSO WHAT BAITS TO U HAVE THE BEST LUCK WITH??

9. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You may want to talk to Hermie's in St. Peter, they aren't ON the river, but aren't far off. Depending on who helps you, you can usually get some good info there. Otherwise the Bobber Shop in Mankato can usually provide decent info.

Most of the guys I know fishing for flatheads are using bullheads.

I guess I don't know much about the Mississippi or St. Croix, but I have seen a lot of pictures from DTRO and others fishing in and around Belle Plaine, and there are some nice fish coming out of the Minnesota between Le Sueur and Chaska. I haven't spent as much time checking out stuff south of Le Sueur so I couldn't tell you much about that.

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think you misunderstood.
    If someone was coming up here looking at a good chance to catch some fish with a decent shot at a big one, I would stick to the skinnier water upstream:wink:

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    So what are you saying???
    The fish are in the river..... You got a good shot no matter where you fish.....
    The section I fish takes a bit more time to find them.... But they are all over.
    Dtro is right...... If your coming up and don't know the area... Skinny water is easier to work.....
    Thanks for Clarifying DTRO.... Can't wait for this season Mate...
    Got the trolling motor mounted. Spotlights go on later this week....
    Rewire the trailer and were gonna be set for fishing in style..... Oh yea keep an eye out for some captains chairs... with arm rests. Not as fancy as C15 but something that will make for nice kick back.
    Good luck mates
    Larry

12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would say just stalk Dtro while he is out on the river. DOWN stream closer to the cities is the ONLY place you can catch the bigguns. Leave the skinny water to us small fish catchers. :wink:

13. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice cat:cool2:fish

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is a nice flathead:smile2:

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish larry:wink:

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is big nice job:smile2:

17. BriankatCatfish1

BriankatCatfish1 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking anyplace on the MN is good.:big_smile:

18. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Any local bait shop can tell ya what and where they're bitin on. I got some scoop at Gander Mountain in Mankato. Some days they're bitin, some days they'te not. Get on the yellow pages and give em a call, or check out www.exploreminnesota.com and they can hook ya up with fishing reports for different areas. DNR puts out a book with fishing regs in it, don't wanna get caught not complyin. Sometimes they understand, and sometimes they are in a bad mood. Anyway hope ya get somethin

19. catnipmn

catnipmn New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    So Larry when are you going to show me some spots on this stretch of the river?:wink: DTRO has shown me the skinny river spots:smile2:

20. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dude!!!!
    Welcome to BOC!!!!! Man I would be glad to show you some of the spots. You probably have them pegged already. My boat is OOC as of now and Have to wait till ICE out on the lakes before the mech... can trouble shoot.
    IF you want to head out, I'm game. It was a blast fishing with you in League last year and hope to get paired up with you this year.
    Well get out.
    Cant wait to see you up at LOW for some Monster Sturgeon.