Best Spinning Reel for 8ft. Ugly Cat Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rednecksportsman511, Jan 28, 2006.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Within the next few months I hope to buy me a new setup. I know I want an Ugly Stik Catfish rod, and I like spinning reels for catfishing better than baitcasters. What do y'all think is the best deal for money and durability for a spinning reel to mate to an 8ft. Ugly MH cat rod?

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

You are going to get a lot of replies on this one, so my 2 cents would be a Rhino XL3. I had two of them until recently when I switched to Baitcasters. These reels are very dependible.

Ray

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mitchell 306, dependable, not to bad looking and hard working just like me. LOL

4. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    lol, thanks for the info. now ive got a couple places to start lookin.

5. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

Get one of them over a Rhino for sure. Stay away from Shakespeare as well. Those 2 bargain-brands get good press here but they are trash. They are contructed totally out of plastic. Half of the gears inside are plastic. LOL. Kind of like Ambassadeurs.

6. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    It may not be the cheapest but its always nice to have the baitfeeder/baitrunner option with a spinning reel.

I use Okuma Epixors. As a matter of fact, its an EB50 model that is on my 8' Ugly Cat.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would get a okuma, or shimano baitfeeder spinning reel, catfish connection has both of them.

8. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have 4 shimano baitrunners, 2 of the 4500B's and 2 of the 6500B's and they have never failed me yet. I have never had one single problem with them, and they are very smooth reels. I have caught 2 blues that were well over 50#'s and they performed perfectl.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have a Penn Captiva CLL5000, Okuma Corrida BR-65 and Okuma Coronado CD-90 on three of mine.

10. seaswirl

seaswirl New Member

State:
    Pa.
    well i have a 3 shimano baitrunners, a 3500, 4500, and a 6500, i think the 3500 or the 4500 would be perfect for that rod!! the 6500 would be too big!!

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I am not able to say which one is BEST! I know that Shamano US Baitrunners 6500 (Wels Catfish Only) is one of the Best that are made today for a reasonable price. The Okuma EB-80 & Baitcaster models (Wels Catfish/Salt Water applications) are Fantastic reels for a Better price and Diawa Emblem Bite-n-Run (Carp Fishing Only) is a name that will be around for a while. Yet, I own all three of these brands and Enjoy fishing with them. The one thing that I say is that a Front Drag is a must on whatever reel that you get. For Catfishing, I say go with a Baitrunner/Bait feeder/Free Spool type of reel. You will be more than Gladd that you did. The ability to have a fish take the bait without taking your rig will make you wonder how you did without it! Each of these reels will be used for different situations and I do not hesitate to fish with them. Buy what you can afford and use it until you are able to get something else if necessary. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

12. eaglecat

eaglecat New Member

State:
    california
    Howka Brothers and Sisters,
    I find the Penn 6500ss spinning reel to be
    an excellent choice for your rod, its not the
    largest Penn reel but mine serves me well for
    most applications, well thats all for now,
    Thanks John
    Big Trebles=Big cats:)

13. birdnest

birdnest New Member

I have a Penn 5500 SS on my Ugly stick cat rod. Ain't fancy, not a lot of bells and whistles but I've hauled pretty big black tips outa the surf with it and it hasn't failed on any cats yet. I have actually got nailed by a pretty good size wave when I wasn't lookin and dropped it in the surf! fished it out, rinsed the sand off of it with salt water and still fished the rest of the day with it. I did give it a decent cleaning/rinse w'fresh water when I got home. That was several years and lots of fish ago. Takes a licking and keeps in fishin!
    Tightlines,
    Birdnest

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    try the Tidewater Freeliner Spinning Reel.