Best SpinCast reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DANZIG, Dec 10, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yep, Christmas present again!

Got a buddy who has been having trouble with his hands and figured a nice spincast would be a good present for him.

Which one would be best IYO??

2. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    My little cousin has a daiwa spincast that is really nice. He has caught every thing from 4 and 5lb channels to a 3lb rainbow on it. The reel has a nice drag.

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    For a reel that uses 10-12lb test, the Zebco Omega is hard to beat. 6BB and 1 RB for instant anti reverse, 3.7-1 ratio that retrieves line almost as fast as a 5.1-1 baitcasting reel. Runs around $50 or so.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I picked up an Abu Garcia Cardinal series in 104 and 106 series..early this year..

I have 10# on the 104,,my bait rig!!! And 15# on the 106, mainly for channels..

I am real happy using those,, real smooth, real good drags,,real cheap..
    Wally world..

5. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    The 888 or 808 zebco has 20# line on them. They have a good drag on them and the button release is easy to use. They are a good reel I have 6 of them. I like my levelwinds too. I still like to use the 888 and 808 for chanels and carp. You could use braided 20#line in them to get more line on them.The rest is with my 5 levelwinds. Hope you find something to help your freind out.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Can't go wrong with a shimano reel:big_smile:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I LOVE my Abu Garcia 1076 spincast reel! Can't go wrong with that baby! :big_smile:

Bill in SC

8. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Anything Shimano. :wink:

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Cuda posted the choices I would have posted . I guess some of the other options listed may be better . Guess it depends on what the economy has done to you or for you .:wink: I always have some zebco's around for my wife and young children . I won't be afraid to admit I use them some too !

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have used many spincast reels here is a few great choices

Abu Garcia Abumatic
    Zebco Omega
    Daiwa Goldcast III Series
    Zebco's 808
    Zebco's Pro Staff 888

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My wife has a Zebco Pro Staff 888, its a very good reel for the price and will out cast any of my baitcasters. Will handle catfish up to 25 pounds with no problem.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am crippled up in my hands.I have found the Big reels easier to handle and control.Bream,Bullheads to larger fish.A big reel with the right line works for me.There is just more for a cripple hand to grasp and everything is easier to operate.You can always put on smaller line.Most reels will handle smaller than designed for lines far better than too large.

The Johnson Maxxum and the Zebco 808 and 888's are the reels that I handle and control best.I am not sure that the Johnson Maxxom is still available.Think like the little kiddie toys for kids for crippled hands.The smaller something is,the harder it is to manipulate in every way.

13. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.
    I have about 8 Rhino's... 2's 3's and 5's. they are tough and inexpensive. hard to find a complaint about them for the price.

14. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a Penn 8000 spinning reel , works fine , 65lb. power pro.
    pulled in a 54lb. Spoonbill with it. haven't tryed to hoist anchors yet!

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I bought a Rhino closed face combo and a spin cast combo early this year, They worked real nice when new,,, Very smooth, and cast a mile,,,But, all of the Rhino stuff disentegrated ,,Rods reels,, I won't buy anymore..

16. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I would recomend the zebco PS888 or 808 they both work well, but if you want a reel that will handle the larger line go with the 888. Oh the mitchell big game are also great reels with line up to 20lbs Very comparible to the 808.

17. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Catfish connection has the 808 combo 7' rod Z1845lec for $24.50 great xmas present.

18. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky

19. eyeballjr

eyeballjr New Member

State:
    Bartlesville,OK
    IMHO first thing you have to do when you buy any zebco real, i've had the 808's and 888's for my son and wife when they first got started. CHANGE THE LINE!!!!! The line they put on them at the factory is crap and will cause you more grief than you can imagine. I thought the reels where the problem after the first couple months, then changed the line and they work better than new.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Member

State:
    Texas
    The Zebco platinum reels are great for general fishing. I have the Omega3 and like the 33 platinum better. The 808 magnum holds 125 yards of 25 lb line and has never failed me yet. I generally let my wife, daughter and such use it because they have problems casting my ABU 6000s and 6500s. They've hauled up some pretty nice catfish with that 808 mag. and the 33 platinum has one 7 lbs bass on its record list.