Best Soap for Cleaning Fish Smell off Hands?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by NCCatter, May 2, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering what the best soap to remove that fishy smell off your hands. I currently use Hunter's Specialties Scent A Way body wash, but I have to do it 3 or 4 times before it totally removes it. Anybody know of a better soap to use? I was thinking maybe that Orange liquid soap or Lava...?

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Clorox makes some aniseptic wipes that come in a little resealable box like baby wipes. They work pretty well. Most of the time I keep some on my boat.
    Fast Orange works pretty good too.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Kerosene and a match...LOL!!

I try not to fish before I have to go to work or take the wife out. It seems like the smell has to wear off!!

My wife complains, but I call it "the smell of happiness!!!"

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Daniel, the best way that I have found to remove the fish smell is to wash your hands thoroughly. Then take about the same amount of toothpaste as you put on your toothbrush and scrub your hands in it. It will give your hands a clean minty smell and mask most any undesirable odor. My father has done this for years to remove unwanted odors from his hands. Vern

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use a bit of Hunters Specialties no scent soap. I really takes the smell out. I buy it on clearance after season ends. I like the green body wash stuff the best. Doesnt take much and kills the smell.

6. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Vern took the words right out of my mouth. Toothpaste is the best thing I've found for getting rid of the fishy smell (or any other smell for that matter). I generally just buy some cheap stuff at places that sell stuff cheap. Yes, I will wash my hands with soap afterwards, but for some reason, the toothpaste really does the trick.

Ralph

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I also use tooth paste after i was my hands with soap i dont think anything works better.

8. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    I use Fast Orange

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    BOC member Jimmy Thompson gave me a couple small water bottles filled with a cherry smelling liquid soap that works great. Think it was home made but not sure, down to my last bottle. Maybe he can chime in here.

10. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    anything that has a citrus base to it should work.

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I use that gritty orange soap followed with ketchup and then Dawn liquid dish washing detergent. I had always heard that if you get sprayed by a skunk you could get the smell off with ketchup. I ain't never been sprayed by one but it helps to get the fishy smell off. Sometimes if it ain't too bad I just use ketchup and regular soap.

ST

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I do use a vegetable brush when I clean my hands and clean under my nails carefully. Perhaps that accounts for the success.

13. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I wash my hands with liquid soap first then wash them again in pine sol. Seems to take the smell away pretty good.

14. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Toothpaste works best for me.

SFG

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm With Greg, Anything That Has A Citrus Base Should Work Well. Since I'm A Mechanic, I Use Hand Cleaners Alot.

I have Been Using Some Stuff That I get From THe Snap-On Man, I like It Because You Use It WITH Water. He Just Told Me Today That They Are Coming Out With Some That Is Also Anti-Bacterial Which Would Be Even Better.

HTH, Elliot

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    fast orange here too. i also take half a lemon and rub in my hands, then wash again.

17. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    toothpaste is the best I've found.

18. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
  19. Kentucky Boy

Kentucky Boy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use simple green or M30 hand cleaner, both work really well, but like everyone else has said, anything ith citrus base is good.

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I use the orange when I am out on the water. When I get home I have found rubbing my hands under running water on a big stainless steel spoon(they actually sell metal bars now shaped like soap but I haven't tried them). If all that doesn't work there is always lemon juice which works but if you have cuts it burns worse than rubbing alcohol.