Best slip float rig for flathead catfishing?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathead_ky, Feb 16, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hooked into a monster last June and lost him. I was using a slip float rig and used a swivel to connect the main line to a 18" leader of 20 lb Berkley Big Cat line. I was wanting to know what is the best size of the swivel to use and if there is any suggestions on a better slip float rig. I only use this rig when I fish in calm water.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I use a black swivil rated at 20 lb's! I like the turned cork slip bobbers the best, but they are expensive! I think fishing for cats with live bait and a slip bobber is the most fun and productive, and I do it whenever condition's permit. Even fast current can work! I may head out to try a little slip bobber fishing right now!:)

3. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wow that was a fast reply, I was sitting here in the office and figured I would check out the forum a little more on my break. Thanks for the swivel info. That is the last thing I want is to lose a monster because of a weak swivel. Any certain brands that may have an advantage over others?

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The weaker/cheaper ones wont have a test pound rating! I couldnt tell you one brand over another!

5. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Philip, did you mean to say 200# test swivel?? 20# seems really lite to me. I use 100-200# berkleys.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    One thing to remember on tackle and lb ratings, at a certain point it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. For example, you buy a good cat rod and reel and you string it up with 80lb line. There is no way your going to set your drag to just under 80lbs of tension, you might get it to set at 15lbs or 20lbs but not 80lbs. Just think about having that 80lb line on your reel, tie a 20lb weight onto your line, now try to pick that weight up off the ground. I'm going to guess that you will have to crank that drag down more in an attempt to get that weight off the ground and in the end your going to bust your new rod. Let's say you are able to crank that drag down and achieve 80 lbs, when you were fighting a fish, your line would be pulled down in your reel and you would be putting all that highly tensioned line under looser line already on the reel. If you doubt this take any reel and run off 30 yds of line and then tie it to a post and crank your drag down as far as it will go and start jerking and yanking on that pole trying to pull up that post as you slowly walk towads it. When the line breaks, tie on a weight and try to cast it out, if you had your drag cranked down that line isn't going anywhere. Another way to look at this would be to look at all the large fish on the BOC and count how may people are holding up a 50lb catfish with their poles like your kids do their bluegills for a picture. I would agree with Deltalover, 20lbs is most likely enough for the real tension and weight that it will have to endure. I like a good snug drag, but then I also like to use the lightest tackle I can use to help prolong and enjoy the fight. I had a friend who bought the biggest deep sea rig he could get thinking he needed it for large fish. I showed up with my cat rods and reels and it looked like I had ultra light rigs compared to his. So, use tackle heavy enough to take the load but don't over do it, And that's all I'm going to say about that.lol

7. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will have to find me some of those. I do have several sizes of the swivels, but I can't remember if it showed that information on the package. There isnt many baitshops here, and I order most of my equipment from Bass Pro or pick it up at WalMart and other stores. WalMart doesnt have Berkley Swivels, but they have a brand called LAKER. Have you guys ever tried them?

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I occasionally use some rated for 50 lbs, but those are huge, and overkill unless I am slinging 6 or 7 oz of lead! With a 200 lb swivil I could tow my boat! Keep in mind you are talking to someone that has never caught a fish over 30 lbs, 10 lbs for a cat! So far the 20 lb test has been fine!

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would look for what I think are called barreled or ballbearing swivels. They will spin on both ends so your line wont get wrapped. I dont like the snap swivels at all.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Ya may want to give Tim Hagan a shout (PM). I think it was he that posted how he uses a slip float with no swivle. I'm not remembering how it was done now, wish I would of saved his post because I don't trust swivles.

11. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do use the barrel swivels and not the snap one. I actually fished the slip float rig without a swivel also, but had a lot of line twist and messes. I would like to contact him to see how he does it. Thanks

12. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a size 1 or 1/0 swivel on all my slip float rigs. I anchor my slip float rigs with a 1 oz egg sinker just above the swivel with a bead between it and the swivel. This holds the bait down at the depth I want. I'm using a large 8" Thill Big Fish Slider float that I have a small chem light attached to using a rubber band so I can follow it at night. I use bullheads for bait and they are always trying to swim down to the bottom or into any available cover. They can really keep that float bobbing up and down, kind of keeps you on your toes. I use this setup when I am fishing some heavy cover near the bottom and I can't use my normal bottom slip sinker rig. I really like slip float rigs - it is pretty exciting when they disappear out of sight in the dark.

13. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It keeps me on my toes too when that big bluegill or goldfish tries to dive to the bottom and the floater goes crazy. There is no feeling like it when it disappears and doesnt come up though. You guys have been great with the advice.

14. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Just curious of what broke when the fish broke free? May be using the right swivels already.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Sorry I missed this guys or i would have gotten back to you sooner. Here is a pic of the set up i use and it has worked great for me. sinker slide go on first then a carolina keeper or 2 for bigger sinkers they will stop the sinkers from moving down to the float. Then I tie the hook on with about 18" of line between the hook and keeper set your float so it will keep the bait about 6" off the bottom. to do this loop the line between the keeper and the hook. Move the hook up about 6" from the keeper then hold the line and at the hook at the loop or blend in the line hook your float on this will keep your bait off the bootom. With no swivel and only one knot to tie. I use different size hooks and float for different baits this one is 6/0 hooks 1 1/2oz walking sinker for med size cut bait. Hope this helps out guy if you need more info just ask

Attached Files:

16. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The first thing that broke was my heart :) . No, I think it might have been a faulty knot, but Im not sure. I was using a clinch knot, but I think I am going to start using a palomar knot thanks to article I read from the library.What waters do you fish in the Louisville area? The college I have been working at for two years now has a campus in Louisville.

17. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    While I was replying to Brian, I saw your reply. Thanks for the setup advice. I will be sure to try it and hopefully put it to the test of a big cat this year.

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I think you will like it I have had 50lb plus blues in fast current waters and with just one knot I fill alot better about landed them. And by having to bait off the bottom you will see alot more bites.

19. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    My favorite places are the big O, the Ohio River around West Point and Louisville. Ive heard the falls of the ohio is good but the few times ive been there I havent done any good. I think Taylorsville Lake is a great place and overlooked for cats as well.

20. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That looks like a very effective rig Tim! I wouldnt have thought of it as a slip float rig, but I can't wait to try it!