Best size of bluegills?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by joe shmoe, Jul 13, 2007.

1. joe shmoe

joe shmoe New Member

State:
    sw pa
    i was wondering what would be the best size of gills in a lake or river

2. joe shmoe

joe shmoe New Member

State:
    sw pa

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Hand size and below, but does it really matter. No not in my oppinion. A live guill is a live guill is a live guill

4. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Smaller the better... but not too small.... Its easier for the cats to catch and eat the smaller Baits....less effort... it takes more effort for the cats to catch a big bait and manuver the bait to be able to swallow the bait.... a good average bait size would be like 3-8 inches :wink: 3-6 being the best

bigger the bait ....does not mean bigger fish........ it means less fish..... :big_smile:

5. Redb

Redb New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hand size is best, just big enough to fillet.

6. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I like big gills for flatheads, the smaller three to five inches will get you more blues and channels though.:roll_eyes:

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Use as big as you can throw. A 5lb flathead can easily eat a bluegill larger than your whole hand. A 5lb channel can do the same. I have noticed no drop off in the number of fish using either large or small fish. Also if you catch some really big ones, you can just cut them in half and use those for the flatties as well.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Are we talkin about eatin bluegills or usein em for bait?????Dwight

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have had cats nail them 5-7 inches long but I like the 2-3 inch size!!:smile2:

10. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I don't think the size matters. I've had some monster bluegills on and catch some smaller sized flats. I had a real small gill on one time and caught a 20# flat.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Good question!

From what I've seen, the small pond or lake and its residents will quickly determine the size of any bluegill you throw in. If you bluegill are too few and too small without enough cover, well, you won't have any in a few weeks (they kinda get eaten).

If they survive and reproduce, then they will grow and multiply until they take over. Then they'll get stunted and grow smaller. Fish them out enough or provide enough predators, and they'll balance out at a pretty good size.

Our local state-maintained fishing lake is only 17 acres. Being so close to Washington D.C., it is heavily fished. Interestingly though, the bluegill are starting to grow to a fairly good size, if you can catch them. I was fortunate enough to catch a citation-worthy bluegill there a few weeks ago.

http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/P1010395.JPG

12. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I like them about 3 - 4" long. I have used bigger and smaller with great results. Really depends on the mood of the fish at the time.