Best size hooks?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JThompson, Apr 2, 2008.

1. JThompson

JThompson New Member

State:
    Illinois
    what is the best size hook and brand for targeting big flatheads on limblines and bankpoles with live blugill and bullhead?

what is the best size for targeting flats when there is a good chance of catching smaller channels too?

thanks for any help/

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use 10/0 king Khales and 8/0 circles sometimes.

3. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've had good success with 6-8/0 circles. I wouldn't scale down to accomodate smaller fish. If a channel's big enough to hit a live bluegill or bullhead those sizes should be good.

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I use Gamakatsu 8/0 circle hook & Daiichi 7/0 circle "Chunk Lite" hook. The Daiichi are the ones I like the best. Make sure you get the "Lites" it is a big hook!!!! Don't let the 7/0 number fool you.

5. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    all i use are circle hooks no matter which of the three sizes even a small channel you can get a good set.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 8/0 Circle hooks

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i agree with BMills a 6-8 should work i use a 10/0 hook for my limb lines

8. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with many of the posters that a 6-8 would be best, however, I don't like to use circles on my lines(I had a lot of trouble with skin deep hooksets and lost fish at the boat); I only use J hooks: 6/0 for baits around 6-10 inches and for really big baits (about 1-3lb) I use a 12/0 J hook made by Gamakatsu. I do know some people who fish the brazos river and use nothing but 4/0 hooks and catch good numbers of large fish (a dozen or so over 40 every year) and have caught an 81 and a 73 so maybe it doesn't matter so much?

9. olyeller

olyeller New Member

State:
    Kingsland, TX
    I use 5-0 Stainless Eagle Claw, pattern 090. That's an offset, plain shank hook. It'll hook up with anything from small channels to big yellows. Sounds like you're about right over on the Brazos with what you're using, I just strongly recommend the offset style versus the common old O'Shaunessey type.

I also use circle hooks on some of my lines. They hookup well. Just bear in mind they are a lot smaller hook and you need at least a 6-0 to 10-0 to compare to the 5-0 I recommend above.

And for what it's worth, stainless is the only way to go.

10. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use kahle and circle hooks in all sizes to match the bait being used and the size of the cats in a particular area.

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i like 10/0 eagle claw king cat hooks

12. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I personally use 8/0 Gama 4X Octopus for almost all my catfish. If I am targeting channels I will use a much smaller gama hook somewhere in the 1/0, 2/0 range.

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Blake here on this one....

14. Pappy B

Pappy B Guest

Here's one for ya.When I'm fishing the rivers in Arizona,I rig a 9/0 circle with a 3"-8" tag line and a 4/0 circle in the end of the bait.It can be cut bait or live.If it's a live bait I'll skin my trailer hook just through the meat or skin of my gills near the tail.If a small cat trys to take the bait I'll still get him.The reason is because if it's a smaller channel,he can't take the bait by the head and usually grabs it by the tail and gets the hook.If it's a flat or decent sized channel he'll grab it by the head and get hooked.I use a palamer knot when I tie my 9/0 and leave a long tag end.I'll tie on the stinger hook based on the bait size.If I'm putting on a
    6" bluegill or cut bait,4"-5" stinger .A 10" carp,7"-8" stinger.My hook up to bite ratio has been greatly increased since I started doing this and I haven't lost a big cat yet on the smaller hook.Sometimes the light biters will just nibble the bait and I hook 'em.It's worked great for me and I hope this helps.
    Pappy B.:wink:

15. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have caught nice Flathead and very small Channel on this size Hook. Second would be Gamakatsu Circle 7/0.

16. Tunastick

Tunastick New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    10/0 eagle claw #084 which is the basic claw offset hook for big baits, I have bought them in bulk, they only make them in a few runs a year or less. I use the 090 stainless hook in 6/0 for most average size baits, got thousands of them also, its the same hook as the 84 style just stainless.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    as long as plenty of hook is still exposed after baiting you will be fine. bullheads will call for bigger hooks than gills will.

18. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    9/0 or 10/0 Kahles.....9/0 or 10/0 octopus hooks.:eek:oooh: