Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best size hook and brand for targeting big flatheads on limblines and bankpoles with live blugill and bullhead?

what is the best size for targeting flats when there is a good chance of catching smaller channels too?

thanks for any help/

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with many of the posters that a 6-8 would be best, however, I don't like to use circles on my lines(I had a lot of trouble with skin deep hooksets and lost fish at the boat); I only use J hooks: 6/0 for baits around 6-10 inches and for really big baits (about 1-3lb) I use a 12/0 J hook made by Gamakatsu. I do know some people who fish the brazos river and use nothing but 4/0 hooks and catch good numbers of large fish (a dozen or so over 40 every year) and have caught an 81 and a 73 so maybe it doesn't matter so much?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use 5-0 Stainless Eagle Claw, pattern 090. That's an offset, plain shank hook. It'll hook up with anything from small channels to big yellows. Sounds like you're about right over on the Brazos with what you're using, I just strongly recommend the offset style versus the common old O'Shaunessey type.

I also use circle hooks on some of my lines. They hookup well. Just bear in mind they are a lot smaller hook and you need at least a 6-0 to 10-0 to compare to the 5-0 I recommend above.

And for what it's worth, stainless is the only way to go.

G

·
Here's one for ya.When I'm fishing the rivers in Arizona,I rig a 9/0 circle with a 3"-8" tag line and a 4/0 circle in the end of the bait.It can be cut bait or live.If it's a live bait I'll skin my trailer hook just through the meat or skin of my gills near the tail.If a small cat trys to take the bait I'll still get him.The reason is because if it's a smaller channel,he can't take the bait by the head and usually grabs it by the tail and gets the hook.If it's a flat or decent sized channel he'll grab it by the head and get hooked.I use a palamer knot when I tie my 9/0 and leave a long tag end.I'll tie on the stinger hook based on the bait size.If I'm putting on a
6" bluegill or cut bait,4"-5" stinger .A 10" carp,7"-8" stinger.My hook up to bite ratio has been greatly increased since I started doing this and I haven't lost a big cat yet on the smaller hook.Sometimes the light biters will just nibble the bait and I hook 'em.It's worked great for me and I hope this helps.
Pappy B.:wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
10/0 eagle claw #084 which is the basic claw offset hook for big baits, I have bought them in bulk, they only make them in a few runs a year or less. I use the 090 stainless hook in 6/0 for most average size baits, got thousands of them also, its the same hook as the 84 style just stainless.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
as long as plenty of hook is still exposed after baiting you will be fine. bullheads will call for bigger hooks than gills will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.