Best size fish to fillet, the verdict is in!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    ok, after spending a couple hours cleaning 30 cats the other day i made some very interesting observations. a few months back i typed a post on the virtues of catch and release, keeping smaller fish releasing the larger ones blah, blah, etc. one of my points was that smaller fish were easier to clean than bigger ones. well of course i had several brothers try and tell me i had it all wrong. now i am not a newbie to cattin and have filleted my fair share of cats in my time but i admit, some self doubt did start to creep in so i thought i would put both theories to the test whilst i was cleaning all those cats. the results are in. if you said it is easier to clean larger fish than smaller ones you are either a) full of crap b) delusional c) a liar or d) all of the above. there is just no comparison. small fish are 10 easier to clean than big ones. ok i am done ranting.

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Man I could have told you that. Who ever said small(1-3#) cats aren't eaier to clean than big ones, was sadly mistaken.

Robert

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yep,

Those smaller cats are much easier to fillet, or at least they are to me...

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    The bigger ones are harder to skin and filleting may take a little longer, but you get more meat for the time invested. I skinned and filleted a 30# fathead Sat and it took about twice as long as the 6#er I did. I have a bad back so I take my time pulling on the skin anyway. But I think the correct answer is; to each his own. grizzly

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    grizzly- what are you doing keeping a breeder fish? I can understand up to 10 lbs esp in some of the waters where the smaller fish are 10 lbs and average size is 15-20 lbs... but that 30 could have been someone's world record in 5 years or could have produced enough offspring to have made the river even more full with fish then it is.

I'm sorry had to do that...

I think that the smaller ones are actually easier to prepare because they tend to be easier to catch as well... Its hard to fillet one you can't catch :wink:
    I personally think that smaller ones are better to eat because they aren't the breeders... keeping the larger ones reduces the numbers of small ones to catch and keep...

6. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I hardly ever keep fish, but when I do I won't keep anything over 10lbs. I just think the smaller ones are easier to deal with and in my opinion taste better because they haven't had as long to let all the crap in the water settle into thier systems as much as large cats do.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Whoever thinks cleaning a 1lb anything is easier than a 7 lb anything, doesn't use an electric knife. using the electric knife, size doesn't matter.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you are correct...you are wrong. I can clean a big fish and get 30 pounds of meat in 5 or 10 minutes. For you to get 30 pounds you would need to clean 20 to 50 small fish and this might take you over an hour.

smaller fish are quicker to clean but thats just what you have when finished, a small amount of food.

I don't eat big fish but if I did it would be much quicker.

9. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yes Bryan, I knew I would catch heck for admitting to keeping a fish that size. Please understand that my friend and I are both disabled and on very fixed incomes, so when we spend money on a fishing trip we need to show something for it. Also on the lake where the fish was caught a 30#er doesn't even get a second look, many 40 and 50+ are caught out of there every year. I will also tell you the fish was caught on a trotline and that is the norm in Arkansas where most people fish for the food, and large fish are not released, I personaly know of no one who CPRs big fish. I didn't know this even happened until I joined the BOC. I have a great respect for my brothers here online and didn't mean to upset anyone. I'm sorry if that happened. grizzly

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Grizzley: You need to know that I am not offended by what you did.The Bible says man is to have dominion over the fish of the sea fowls of the air and all animals that walk the earth.The Lord also said they are to be used for food,certain kinds that is. So while it is ok to CPR in my opinion it is ok to catch and eat.I understand a fixed income and you took it for food.It is most understandable to me.Please do not feel guilty for what you do. We all have the right to do as each of us think is best.----------pk powell:smile2:

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Grizzley: You need to know that I am not offended by what you did.The Bible says man is to have dominion over the fish of the sea fowls of the air and all animals that walk the earth.The Lord also said they are to be used for food,certain kinds that is. So while it is ok to CPR in my opinion it is ok to catch and eat.I understand a fixed income and you took it for food.It is most understandable to me.Please do not feel guilty for what you do. We all have the right to do as each of us think is best.----------pk powell:smile2:

12. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    No, you didn't HAVE to do that. I can understand stating what you PERSONALLY would do, but, your post appears to be one sided and directed and making someone feel that what they did was wrong, when it wasn't wrong, only wrong in YOUR opinion.

grizzly,

I commend you on this response. I understand keeping large fish. Heck, I have even eaten large cats myself. For some reason, some of the people just get too wrapped up in CPR and think that it is the ONLY way. They also want to talk down to and look down upon those who do not CPR. Don't let it get to you. There are many people on here who CPR some, and eat some. It is NOT our fault that some of the Northern states don't have the fishing, and fisheries that we have.

13. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I was not mad nor did I feel I was beeing put down by what was said. Open discussion is what America is all about, we all have own opinions about everything and are free to discuss them openly. I know my ideas may be backwards to some[hey, I'm from Arkansas hahaha], but I release all flatheads under 5# so they may grow to be caught when they are larger. One more thing, let's not tell anyone they should not state thier opinion on any subject. I can take good natured ribbing as well as the next, and it may be me doing the ribbing next time. grizzly

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i will beg to differ with you my friend. i have been using an electric knife for well over 10 years and am quite proficient with it. the bigger the fish, the larger the bones the duller the knife blades and the sooner you have to replace them. end of story.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Got a friend who uses a 10 inch curved blade knife, not a fillet knife. That guy can fillet and skin a 10 lb cat before most even turn their electric knife on. Of course, he used to be a charter boat captain. Had to clean the big kings and tuna for his clients at the end of the day at dockside.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey pal, You don't gotta beg to differ with me, folks differ with me all the time! Maybe you are right, after all I catch and release and have for over 10 years now... but when I did...

I still say I can clean 10 5 pound cats faster than 20 2 1/2 pounders, but my mouth is well known to write checks my skinny a$$ can't cash LOL!

17. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    My 2 cents:
    Smaller cats taste better. Fillet from a 3 pound fish is always going to taste better than fillets from a 30 pound fish of the same species of catfish.
    With smaller cats there's not as much fatty tissue to trim and the nervous tissue/red meat down the middle of the fillet is small enough to ignore. Thinner fillets cook more consistently than random size steak cuts.

18. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    it depends on your agility to handle smaller fish and on your skills with your knife. anyways who really cares how long it takes i like to take my time anyways fillet knives can be dangerouse if you get in a hurry, so i guess smaller fish take way to long ..ta ta good luck cleaning all theme small fish your catching.:lol:

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I havn't really noticed a difference since I swithed to an electric fillet knife to remove the skin. I still use my regular fillet knife for everything else though. I do CPR most of my bigger fish unless they are gut hooked are something like that.

20. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i agree bass is a good example