Best size Bluegills for Flatheads ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyron4, Jul 11, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello, what is the best size Bluegills to use for Flatheads in the 2'-3' (10-20 lbs) size range ? I was thinking 4 inches, and think maybe 6" would be too big ? Also, does it matter if you hook them through the nose or behind the dorsal fin ? Which give a better hook up ? Don't cats eat fish head first ? :confused2:

-Thanks

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    A 10-20 pound flat would have no trouble eating a six inch bluegill. They can inhale it whole easily.

Where you hook them depends on the water you are fishing. If it is currenty, hook them in the mouth. It will help them breathe and live longer. If it isn't currenty, I would hook them behind the dorsal fin. You can cast better without worrying about throwing your bait off with it hook behind the dorsal fin.

Flats do eat fish head first. I don't worry about hooksets with my bait hooked into the dorsal fin though until my bait reaches 8 inches or so. Anything smaller than 8 I know they will just inhale and my hook will be in there mouth when I jerk. Bait over 8 inches I'll hook in the mouth, just to be sure my hook is in the fishes mouth when I jerk.

3. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    My feeling is the bigger the better. That way I know its going to take a good fish to hit it.

4. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    the bigger the better, and stop using bluegills. bullheads live for ever and in my opinion are a way better flathead bait.

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    6" is not too big. I have caught many small flatheads on big bluegill.

6. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 5/0 Kahle hooks for 4"-6" chubs, will the 5/0 hooks work for 4"-6" bluegills ? -thanks

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I use 8/0 Gama Octopus circles or 10/0 Gama Octopus J hooks for bigger baits. I use the circles almost all the time because I'm more comfortable with them. If you're using big bait, I'd go with at least an 8/0 hook. Nothing more depressing than missing a fish because the hook point is buried in the bait or the barb's not exposed. Good Luck!

Branden

8. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    That size should work good. That size will have a little thinner wire than the bigger sizes, and should keep your bait kicking a little longer. I believe it is also big enough to work with a bait that size.

If I get into a situation where my hook seems to small for my bait, I will hook the bait in the mouth. That way I would have more exposed hook than if I bury it in the tail.