Best sinker to use with prower pro line?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ckhismine, Nov 20, 2006.

1. ckhismine

ckhismine New Member

State:
    ohio
    What sinker is the best to use for river fishing with the prower pro line. Lots of snags in this river. Should I use a tag line of mono for the sinker?

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would use a Carolina rig w/ a no-roll sinker or a three-way setup w/ a flat bank sinker.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Generally you will need less sinker by weight with a braided line.I would NOT use any type of no roll that has a hole in the sinker thru which you thread the line.One it will fray the line and two braid cuts easily if stressed over a sharp angle.Use a sinker slide,snap swivel and for sure a bead to protect knots.A three way is also good but I could never keep the thing untangled:big_smile: :lol: :tounge_out:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A friend sets his up drop sinker style with good results. He uses a bell tied to the end of the line with one or two hooker drops. It works with braided, though sinkers rigged any way, even no snags won't prevent all snags in waters with lots of debris.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I rig power pro the same way I would mono, Carolina, three way, drop shot,Etc. etc and I fish a lot of different bodies of water with a variety of structure. The slides and beads are a good thing, I don't use slides, but I do use beads just not all the time. Try as many ways as you can, then you will be able to make an educated decision.

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    As Jim stated, I also use nothing but PowerPro. I use a snap swivel above a BEAD, and tie a 17lb test line to a flat bank sinker and use it as a carolina rig. It keeps the braid from getting frays which occur from the no roll sinkers. I used to use the no rolls but learned the hard way that they fray the line to much.

7. ckhismine

ckhismine New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is what I was thinking. If it got snaged I could break the mono line with the sinker and maybe save the hooks.

8. ckhismine

ckhismine New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok today my buddy Dave and I went to BPS and I found some sinker slides. I am going to use the slides with 8-10 lb mono so if I get a snag I can just break off the sinker and save the rest of the rig.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

LOL, Jim that power pro can cut through a stainless steel guide like hot butter. You really think a lead sinker will harm it? LOL

I use power pro all the time and have since you old timers here convinced me to try it. Now all my reels are spooled with it. I'm working on 4 years with one reel and it isn't any weaker now than when I first bought it. I do check it regularly for frays and that. I don't remember ever seeing a bad spot I would have blamed on the no rolls I use. Braided lines are great if you pay attention and don't try jerking a fishes jaws off. LOL One other thing, you do want to make sure your rod tip is ceramic or hardened alloy. You'll find out pretty fast if you're using a rod with a cheap rod tip on it with Power Pro of any of the braided super lines.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Totally agree old friend however some of the no rolls like those used on the James have a hole drilled through the lead.As this 4-6-8oz sinker slides up and down the line it will fray badly because of the sharp edges.Should the Power Pro become wrapped around the sinker in the ensuing battle,braids will snap easily when bent over a sharp edge.It is their one weakness.Otherwise the advantages far outweigh this one minor problem.