Best Sinker For Rocky River Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KYCATFISHHUNTER, Jul 4, 2006.

1. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Hey Fellas,
    I Was Trying To Find Some Input On This Subject. I Recently Found A Pretty Good Place To Fish, But I Keep Getting Hung On The Rocks. I Was Wondering If This Is A Sinker Problem? If So Any Suggestions Will Help Thank You.

2. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i usually use a bank sinker. the problem might be that you are not using enough weight, the current just slides your weight and rig and it will soon find its way to a snag, try using more weight so that it sits were it falls and doesn't drift, also when you cast out, dont reel, let it fall straight to the bottom and dont drag it , when you reel it in hold your rod tip high and reel quick! also you migt try a 3 way rig with a very light leader so when your weight snags you only loose your weight and not your whole rig. good luck i know how frustrating that can be!

3. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    I read an artical were he was using a bottom boncer to fish rocky river bottom to avoid snages, but he was in a boat.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think your gonna have to figure out what is going on. If the current is washing you under rocks or snags, more weight may be the answer...but if the current is that strong it will wash heavy sinkers also. Add to it the effect of the current on your fishing line and you have a lot of pressure. If it is a good spot, and you don't want to give it up, you perhaps should use some sacrificial sinkers (think there are some articles in the library about that). As a last resort, you may want to use a claw sinker in an attempt to grab onto the bottom before your washed under a rock/snag. Do a search on the web for "do-it molds" and I think you will find a comprehensive list of all the sinker types and their uses.

5. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Thanks For The Info. Keep It Coming

6. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i also fish a place like this and i had the same problem i started using heavier sinkers and also using river sinkers so they dont roll

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I fish on nasty rocks a lot. You are going to lose the sinker most of the time. I tie them on a sacrificial line and let it get hung up. Cast down stream and let it settle, not upstream or your hook will get snagged up as well. Rod holders that hold your rod tip as high as possible help keep things out of snags too. Keep a tight line all the time.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    LOL, I too fish "Snag City" a very rocky area. Opinion, heavy sinkers on a long break-away line. If bringing the line in to check the bait do one hard pull keeping the sinker off the bottom as best you can and reel like heck!!

Alot here will say if theres no snags theres no big fish. :big_smile:

Oh yes......start making your sinkers or get a 2nd job, lol!!

"Hope this helps"

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ya' know I waqs having the very same problem untiill I figured out that it was a huge snapping Turtle stealing my bat! Seriously! I thought I was getting hung up something feirce... ALL THE TIME in my favorite spot but never had before this summer. I just chalked it up to riverbottom changes over the winter ,but noooo I finally seen the thing swimming out to where we just threw our bait and sure enough... Turtle. Never di catch it but it shure is smart. Like a lil' turtle delivery place! LOL

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    What lb test line are you using? And the line down to your weight, does it appear to be getting more and more worn each time you bring it in. I had that problem, so I switched to 50lb braid, but was still loosing my weights from abrasion. So my leader line is 285lb test trot line. Extreme I know, but extreme conditions demand extreme solutions. Don't loose weights no more.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR