Best shakespeare spinning and or baitcasting reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by wpsatisfide, Apr 5, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Going to a shakespeare backyard sale saturday and 2 coworkers want me to pick them up some gear. Need 4 spinning reels and 2 baitcasting reels for 7 ft. med action rods. They are gonna use them mostly for flounder, redfish, whiting, etc but will prob also do a little bit of catfishing.

I have seen that they make a tidewater reel which is like a baitrunner, but They looked kind of cheap to me. Course most of their reels do.

anyway could use some suggestions on what to look for

2. CountryBoy

CountryBoy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    Justin
    iv owned 2 tidewaters they work good... for awhile... i dont use either of them currently i cant remeber what went wrong with them :confused:

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    For cats, and from what is sold for freshwater/light saltwater, I would have to go with the tidewater as well. I have one and I love it. The clicker (t20L model) is loud as can be, it has some serious cranking power, and it is a very sturdy reel. Best part is they are only 30-40 dollars depending on the model that you buy.

:0a26:

4. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    thanks guys, everything is supposedly at a big discount so i may by a few to try out. I feel a little better about getting my coworkers these reels now.

5. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    If you must get a shakespeare reel go with the tidewater since it has a baitrunner lever. Shimano Baitrunner is the best it's made for saltwater and is heavy duty, not sure of quality in tidewater but the fact it has a baitrunning system that would be my choice. Get the biggest and strongest tidewater if you can't get a Shimano.

6. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Yeah i will probably buy some already setup on the ugly stiks I want, that way im not paying a whole lot for them. As for my coworkers, ive pretty much told them the same thing. If the combo is much more than the rod ill just be buying the rod.

7. thomas

thomas New Member

State:
    CA
    Don't knock Tidewaters, they are tough and best buy for the price.