Best Set Up For River Flathead catfish From River Banks?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by iluvnevaeh, Mar 29, 2009.

1. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    im curious as to what the best set up for catching some flathead on a big river (missouri) is?? i would be fishing from the bank with rod and reel.... any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    James best bet would be to get your hands on some UTM Maps in conjunction with Google Earth / Satellite Images.

Then do a process of elimination.

The places that look best on maps V.S. your ability to access them

3. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish a different river but get a good 70 or 80 spinning reel with about #30 test. Look for structure. Also when I bank fish I take pvc pipe's about 20 inch's long with a 45 degree angle on one side and drive them in the ground.

4. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thank you, for the info. i dont have a boat so im just gonna try to give it a shot from the banks for now. I did get out to the little nemaha here in auburn today and nothing, water level is rising and faster current then normal. any other info about spots or any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks again!

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I also am forced to fish the bank. I have found that an 8' rod works the best for me, unless I am fishing under overhanging trees. If you need to get some distance match it up with a spinning reel like a Shimano Batirunner with #40+ Powerpro.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Shimano Calcutta 400 and a 7'6 MH St. Croix Classic Cat.

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    James-
    Not sure what you're asking specifically, so I think you'll see lots of answers in this thread...

I definitely agree with Paul (ya kinda hafta agree with the boss anyway don't you?) and check out Google Earth to narrow down your search. Here in Indiana we have platt books that show property ownership so you can get permission on private property if that's an issue.

You'd be looking for bends in the river (usually means there's deeper water present) and structure. If you can find a spot with structure in or very near a deep hole next to some shallow flats--you may have found yourself a honey hole. Flatheads use the structure to ambush their prey. In my experience the bigger the tangle of logs, trees, and rocks the more and bigger fish it will hold.

You mentioned rising water. That's great. Here in Indiana we always have luck fishing creek mouths that dump into the river. When the water is coming up, find those spots. They usually produce (especially if there's structure).

As far as tackle is concerned...you can ask 10 different people and get 9 different answers and a rhetorical question...rod and reel are all preference as long as they are sturdy enough to handle the job. A big flathead will likely make a run for all that structure you'll be fishing and you'll need tackle big enough to turn him. I use a 8' Medium-Heavy Ugly Stik Catfish and a Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Baitcast reel spooled with 50# braid. You may like something different. I generally fish a slip rig on the bottom with enough lead to keep my rig from drifting in the current, which is usually 3-5 oz. I like circle hooks, others do not. Most guys choose either J-hooks, kahle's, or circles...all have their merits. You can find info on all of them in the Member Library.

I hope at least some of this is helpful. And by the way...Welcome to the BOC.

8. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thank you for the info, definately appreciate it. my main problem i had was that i didnt have enough wait i guess, my line kept drifting down river until it slammed into the bank. :smile2: right now i just have a zebco hawg seeker and it isnt worth a crap but i ordered me a better reel and some 50# spiderwire camo and i got some heavy weights now so hopefully i get lucky. im just new to the whole river fishing thing, we had the rio grande out in new mexico but i couldve spit across it and easily walk across it with it only get waist high. i guess i just need to get out there and try a few things. I have tried a few smaller rivers and have had luck with the big nemaha. Thank you all again for the information and i hope to keep hearing about new ideas.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Spinning
    8' Ugly Stik Heavy Action w/ Shimano 6500 Baitrunner w/ 100 lb. Power Pro and a 60 lb. Trilene Big Game leader w/ 10/0 Eagle Claw Kahle Hook

Casting
    8' Ugly Stik Heavy Action w/Abu Garcia 7000 ic3 w/ 40 lb. Trilene Big Game and a 60 lb. Trilene Big Game leader w/ 10/0 Eagle Claw Kahle Hook

:wink:

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I have also been having trouble last year keeping my weight from drifting.And I was always getting snagged more than I ever had.I was also fishing from the bank with 8oz weights. What's the secret from keeping this from happening?

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike go up to 12 oz. or even 16 oz. You gotta have a pretty stout rod to cast them, but they usually stay put pretty well. :wink:

13. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    Flat no roll sinkers would help too.. im not sure what your using now, but try a no roll sometime.. thats all i use in any river now days..

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    structure, structure, structure. find it and you will be in the right ballpark.

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

you should try a three way rig to eliminate the snags if you're fishing rocks because more than likely it's your weight getting snagged rather than you hook. If you're on a jam with a pretty heavy current try the flat no roll sinkers and cast out in front of the jams and let you weight sit down and feed a few extra feet of line out to get back to the jam if you're in a real deep heavy current there isn't going to be much you can do though

16. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    If you ordered a closed faced spincaster in my experience the spiderwire camo which is a braid wont work:sad2:. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure. The braided line is too slick to be used in a spincast. You must use either a baitcaster or a true spinning reel. I hope this helps you out catching your trophy !!!!!

17. cantonjim

cantonjim New Member

State:
    ohio
    my brother in law uses a closed face and we cant get any braided string to ever work we tried 5 different time.so i agree with salty1:wink:

18. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If your trying to fish straight across heavy current even two lbs might not be enough.I always look for current breaks that create eddys in the current.Then you can fish downstrem and across.from what I've seen of the Mo. river theres lots of wing dams thats where I would be.

19. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Salty try starting the line on 2 or 3 wraps then use some black tape across the line. Then spool it up it will not slip and hold on any type reel. Thats the way I always put it on and it does not slip it will hold tight. Try it it works. Mike