Best rod for Penn 320 gt2?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Dude, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    ok I just got the penn 320gt2 , I put it on an old Berkley big game rod 7' heavy 2 pc. I got from wally world way back. That S.O.B. was launching this 4 oz. weight 100 yards with ease. (I measured it out for kicks) Quite impressed. I want to find out what the best rods would be to match up with it, i plan on using it on the james for blues eventually when I get time to go there. I was looking at some at gander mtn. but some help from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to get a good combo going, i have something in mind but need the help from you "people in the know!"

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have mine on a 7' MH Tiger Ugly Stick and it works great for me when I go out in the back yard and practice/figure it'd work great for on the water also. Not sure if there's a better rod for this reel but I don't think you can go wrong using a TIGER, figure you pay close to 100.00 for a great reel, should be no problem paying 60.00 to 70.00 dollars for an outstanding rod to go with it, just my opinion.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A hundred yards? Like the length of a football feild? Thats some pretty good heaving! I dont think I come any where near that with my 320 on a 8 foot rod! What kind of line are you using?

4. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    just 20 lb mono. , i didnt believe it would do that either due to the negative reviews i have seen on the penn baitcasters casting abilities. I was freaked out at first because it went so far i thought it wouldnt stop andhit something lol.......i was in a field (construction site behind my house trying it out) began to get a burn on my thumb from trying to stop it. anyways i measured it out and it was a little over 100 yards. .....i did it a few more times then i had to quit because i might have caused some damage to something getting out of hand, having too much fun

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have mine mounted on a quantum bigcat m/h action..It is a great combo.

6. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    My Penn 320 is also on a MH Ugly Stick TIGER, and it works great for me.

7. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Don't have the 320GTI, but have a 310GTI on a Quantum Big Cat medium heavy. One of my two favorite flathead rigs. I think you would like this combo.

8. willm

willm New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got one of Danny Kings signature rods and I have been very pleased with it.