Best Rod for Circle Hook Fishin'

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by river_rat_42, Mar 10, 2007.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use the Catmaxx Rods that they sell at Bass Pro, for catfishin' the (ohio)river. These rods are great and I wouldn't pick another rod over them. BUT, here's the thing they are really beefy and stiff, therefore I find it hard to use the ever so common circle hooks while using these rods. SO, what rod is the best rod for using circle hooks? I'd say it has to be a flexible rod, yet strong enough to haul in big o' river cats. Any opinions would be great!

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You need something that will load up and not be stiff. The Catmaxx rods are way to stiff. A fiberglass rod is ideal such as the Uglystick.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

BINGO! Gotta have a reasonably flexible end like the upper third of the rod.

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    tiger rods and circles-for me its the way its done.

5. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    THE NEW CAT MAXX LIVE BAIT RODS WILL WORK GREAT FOR YOU IN THE RIVER I WOULD USE THE MH ONE INSTEAD OF THE MED THE MED IS TOO FLIMZY FOR RIVER USE

6. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info guys! Hey Scott, the ugly stik rods that you suggested in your post, are you talkin' tiger rods or the regular ugly stik catfish rods ( the white ones ). Thanks

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Never had a problem using circles and my catmax rod. Starting to lean more and more towards needing a flexible rod for circles is a bunch of hooy. In fact thinking about it I have a couple of rods that suck and there the flexible ones.

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have several of the regular Ugly Sticks in the 9' length that I have been using with the circle hooks. They bend over real nice and slow and I just pick up and start reeling and fish on!

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Wow, that's about the exact opposite of the experience I have had using the circle hooks! I prefer the flexible fiberglass rods for this style of catfishing. I'm not saying your wrong but just relating the on the water experience I have had!

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yes very true. Most people will say that. I think a lot of it has to do with the body of water. IE like water current speed, lake or river. Type of fish, Channel, flats or Blues. They all bite different. Channels like to just sit there and peck at there food blues will just slam it home and flats they just aint that predictable on how they will bite. Goes like this Circle hooks don't work as well for channels. I think this has a lot to do with why people don't like them. I like to fish for big fish and well that means blues and flatheads.

11. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    HEY GUYS JUST MY OPINION I BELIEVE THAT THE CAT MAXX ROD IS WAY TO STIFF I HAVE BEEN BUILDIG RODS FOR CATFISH FOR A FEW YEARS NOW AND TESTING THEM LIKE CRAZY CATMAXX IS A STIFF RODD AND IF YOU LOOK AT THE LINE RTING ITS VERY LOW FOR THE STIFFNESS OF THIS ROD YOU NEED A ROD THAT HAS A NICE SOFT TIP MAYBE THE FIRST 12-15 INCHES AND THE BUTT TO BE STIFF LOTS OF ROD COMPANIES SALE RODS FOR CATFISHING NOW AND NONE OF THEM IN MY OPIION WORK THAT GREAT FOR EVERY KIND OF CATFISHING CHANEL CATS ALL YOU NEED IS A FLIPPING STICK OTHING ELSE BIG BLUES YOU NEED A NICE BUILT ROD AND IT DEPENDS ON IF YOU ARE USING KAHLE HOOKS OR CIRCLE HOOKS FLATHEADS FASTER ACTION LOT MORE BACKBONE AND LESS OF A TIP HOPE THIS HELPS
    RANDY
    BLACKANDBLUE CUSTOM RODS

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well I think you need to rethink that just a little. 334 pounds of fish in 2 nights of fishing. On rods much stiffer then the catmaxx. All using gamma circle 8/0 hooks. No missed fish!! Thats just this weekend's catch. Personally I'm finding out from experimenting that there is a very fine line between working fine and being to limber. Have not had a problem with being too stiff yet.

13. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I don't know about the catmaxx. I too have some stiff rods that I use circle hooks with. I have never really had a problem with. When your bait meets resistance the circle hook will alway hook. It's the catfish that is doing all the work. Rod if have a tendency to still want to set the hook with circle hooks you'll lose the fish wether you have stiff rod or not.
    Back to the catmaxx's though I hear that they have weak eyes is this true?

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've caught My biggest fish (66lbs) on a ord that is so stiff its like fishing with a 2X4....LOL the tip is about the same diameter as a pencil....and You guessed it I tight line with circles

15. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I've have 2 Catmaxx's I've had for a couple of years now. I can tell you this, they get used 3-4 times a week and are abused. They both look and perform like they were new. The old ones are alot better than the new ones though, they have more eyelets and more backbone. I've caught a 60lb flathead with no problem what so ever. I do like the stiff rods though. I have some heavy action Surge rods also, but they arent' as stiff as the catmaxx.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have 2 MH surge rods Thats as about as light as I would want to go on the tip. Sometimes I think there to light. To much bend to really set that hook deep. Must be why I don't use the surge anymore. Still good rods more of a lake rod if you ask me.

17. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    those catmaxx's cast pretty far. I am looking for a rod for casting great distances. I will be useing an abu 7000ic3 or 6500. I debating between the meathunters, big water uglystiks and the catmaxx's. If a had the money I would probably go for a breakaway but they're high.
    Wich is the best suited for casting long distance

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I like the Surge's alot, but the Heavy action surge isn't near as stiff as a MH Catmaxx. The backbone is there, just seems like just the tip is real light. I haven't put my Surge's to the test yet with a big fish. All my bigger fishes have been caught on the catmaxx rods.

19. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I mainly surf fish using circle hooks that has worked well with all the rods regardless of slow or fast action. Crank and lift works well . . . unfortunately not many cats up here in NY.

20. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have stiff rods and soft tip rods and braid and mono lines and I have seen no marked difference in the performance of the circle hooks. The only variable that my experience has taught me is don't lift or set. Load,crank,lift in that order. Resistance causes the circle hook to do it's job. It might take a dab longer on the softer tipped rods but they all work. Too much bait placed wrong on the hook or too small of a gap in the hook and you will have problems too.

Cheez