Best rod and reel setup

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Hoolygalulith, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just started fishing for big cats, and I use a wal-mart combo cardinal reel and shakespeer rod. Just want to know the best bang for the buck.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know what anyone elses take is but the advice I have is SPEND GOOD MONEY IT WILL PAY,I bought a berkley glowpole for 40.00 from Farm/Home and a Shakesphere Tidewater 30lcl for $40.00 lined it with 120 braid witch was costly and have had great luck I also use a Abu6000 on a oceanmaster offshore angler (won't disclose price) but the first is actualy my favorite.Big Cats eat reels I have only caught 20-25lbers but the first one ate my waley world combo/special and I have never looked back.I like the 4:11 gear ratio.If you hook into a bigun your gonna know it when your reel starts makin littl girley nioses and you will never forget the ride......It's AWSOME........Good Luck and WELCOME TO THE B.O.C.

3. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i believe i have found the best possible cheaper than 101$ setup. it consists of a 6'6 heavy action whuppin' salt stick, i think 6'6 is the absolute perfect size for boat fishin. it is rated for 40-80 pound line and 8 ounces of weight. and i threw on a blue runner reel which will hold 200 yards of 50 pound big game. the rod is like 40$ and the reel was 60$. i think quality is very important when it comes to setups. i've lost a couple big cats due to poor quality gear and trust me i made sure it'll never happen again.

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    good reasonable setup, catfish conections 109.95 combo, abu 7000 and they wouldn't even give me the brand of rod, but the sell good stuff. I personally don'even own a 7000, but I own 9000's and 6500's, I think the 7000 is great all around and will hold up well.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a okuma classic and a 9' cabelas king kat will run around $50 and will catch at least a 50#er been using this set up for a couple three years.

6. keithcatfish

keithcatfish New Member

State:
    Maryville, TN
    I prefer baitcasters for their sheer power and ruggedness. That said, BPS Cat Max combos are great for the money. I can easily cast 80 yards with 2 ounces of weight with no backlash and winch up anything that swims with the lightest action/smallest reel combo. The heavier combos are probably best suited to using extremely heavy weights (Mississippi River-style) or tuna fishing.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Penn 320GT2 on a MH Ugly Stik Tiger.

Reel has winching power, and the rod has a sensitive tip, but strong backbone.

8. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My opinion for best bang for the buck for catching big fish would be a Sakespeare Tidewater 30L paired with an American Spirit Nite Stick 9' rod. Together they would cost you about $65. You could downsize a little to a 20L reel and a 8' Nite Stick together for about $55. Put 40lb. Big Game mono on there and you have a combo that could possibly handle just about any cat out there.

9. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have two of these combos and am very happy with them. I just wish you could get the rod in a 7'-6" or 8' in length. I got both rods on sale at Academy Sports for $40 each and got the reels off Ebay, one for $40 slightly used and the other new in box for $60. I use 100 lb. red power pro on these.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the ABU7000 myself but one thats cheaper but will serve you well would be the tidewater 30L with a nite stick.you wouldnt be disappointed.

11. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I use the CatMaxx combox from Bass Pro and love them.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love my Shimano Charter Special TR200 loaded with Berkley Big Game 40 pound mono, 80 pound mono leaders. Rod is a Quantum Big Cat. Now if I can only catch fish worthy of this rig:big_smile:

13. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    My experience is if you buy better gear you will end up saving $ in the end. I personally use a abu 6500 reel with a Daiwa beefstick ( roughly $110) and my other setup is a Penn 302 level wind reel with a Penn Mariner Rod ( combo was $85) I have had great luck with both.

14. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    i bought a 40dollar shakespear baitcaster and a seven foot ugly stick and i love it! and the 60 pound spiderwire braid aint to bad either.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I run the same setup as bumper. I use the 7'6" and 8' rods and I have both the 30L and 15L reels. You can see what bumper caught using this setup:crazy: and a buddy of mine caught a state record class blue on my setup last week. They should handle just about anything that swims. I personally use 30lb line (Ande it's the only way to go:wink:) mainly b/c I'm too big of a wimp to constantly have to break 40-60lb line:smile2:

16. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like them new glow rods they come out with there good rods

17. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Penn 209 reels with 80# Power Pro and Big Cat rods/ Abu 7000's with 80# Power Pro and Surge Elite rods. These setups will handle BIG fish in alot of current.:wink:

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    My favorite is an Abu Garcia 7000 pro rocket mouned on a catfish safari river rod (i Have 3). yeah its a $250 rod and reel but should serve me well over many years. sometimes you get what you pay for. I like to buy things once

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    My favorite setup is the Shimano Tekota 600 attached to a Catfish Safari lake rod. These setups are hard to beat in my opinion. The reels are smooth as glass, and the rods are lightweight and have a great feel to them. This setup will run you right around 250 bucks, minus the line.:wink:

20. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thats a sweet set up as well Gary. My tourney partner Josh uses the same rig very nice. for some reason or another I accidentaly engage the clicker with My palm when reeling in a tekota. Thats why i went with the Abu, well also abu 7000's have never failed me, if it ain't broke why fix it.