Best river anchor design?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by DH84, Dec 11, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Im looking for the best river anchor design anyone has come up with... homemade or purchased..

Im talking something that you can drop below a dam into a tangled mess without any concern about getting it back and it will hold well.

(Concrete Blocks dont count.. i already use those!)

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro

3. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This is the one I like for rough places.
    http://www.boatersworld.com/product...25%3Bcidocking;cianchoring;ciboat-anchors
    If I hang it on rocks or snags, I can bend the prongs (sometimes I have to use engine power if it's hung up bad), to retrieve the anchor, simply bend the prongs back into position and I'm good to go. Aluminum it pretty light, no rust....:big_smile:
    They come in 3 sizes; I have a 12#, but I like the 16# best overall.

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I am probably not much help on the river anchor situation, but for lakes I use a 25lb barbell weight. I put an I-bolt through it with washers, nuts to hold the eye bolt washer in place, and a lock nut on the bottom.
    I keep about 75 feet of mule tape for the anchor rope tied on to it.
    I guess in swift water, it might just drag, but it sure might also hang up on rocks to hold the boat, but retrieving it might be tough. Hope this helps.
    ccat

6. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
  7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
  8. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I agree with Tommy on this one,I have one and love it,especially the prong design on it,you really dont have to worry about losing this anchor and as he says they are aluminum and weight is not that big of an issue

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think homemade anchors are definatly the way to go. Everytime you toss an anchor overboard it might be the last time you see it, I don't care what design it is. Personally i don't wanna be out $90 everytime i lose an anchor

10. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Best anchor I've seen in awhile was a homemade job by rivercatsc. great design using rebar, 1.5" round steel, chain and a zip tie. Chain is welded to the bottom where the flukes come together, then ziptied to the top. if the anchor gets stuck, the zip tie breaks and now you're pulling from the bottom of the flukes and the anchor turns over, freeing itself of the snag. I know that anchor is posted on here somewhere as there was a similar thread on here about a year ago.

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    its in the library section

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <they are aluminum and weight is not that big of an issue>

No, but price is! :wink: Those bendable tine anchors are PRICEY!

<I think homemade anchors are definatly the way to go. Everytime you toss an anchor overboard it might be the last time you see it, I don't care what design it is>

I have been blessed, and NOT lost an anchor this season. The Danforths I use are less than $30, so if I do lose one...

Bill in SC

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  14. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    thanks for the solid feed back, you've given me some good ideas to go with.. i believe ill get another danforth with the slide ring and make one of the rebar models with the melted lead

would you consider cutting the ears off the danforth? (the rods sticking out of each side of the base of the fluke) i believe that gets hung pretty bad in snags and shouldnt much effect the holding power in a smooth bottom

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <
    would you consider cutting the ears off the danforth? (the rods sticking out of each side of the base of the fluke) i believe that gets hung pretty bad in snags and shouldnt much effect the holding power in a smooth bottom>

I too wondered about this, but have had NO problems in this area of consideration.

Bill in SC