best rig to cast far

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cathunter600, Jul 30, 2008.

1. cathunter600

cathunter600 New Member

State:
    alabama
    What is the best rig for casting long distances.

2. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    For pure distance, get a 12 ft surf rod and a good conventional reel, like a Penn Squidder or Jigmaster. I think the reel makes a big difference in this, but the rod is important too. On a tree lined river bank, 12 ft just won't work, so you have to adjust the rod to the location. But that Squidder will still throw a mile...

I'm sure others have ideas as well.

Good luck.

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    the longer the rod, the farther the cast. Just make sure the reel, a baitcaster is probably the best, can keep up. Type in long distance casting on a google search and look what comes up. Almost 900 feet (three football fields) now that is casting. Hang on bait!!!!!!!!:smile2:

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a 7001c ABU, on a 10' Shirkara blank, and I can hit about 100 yard, on a good day with a 5 oz sinker and a good tail wind, and I have an old eagle claw 13' with a Penn 9500 and a 3 oz sinker on it i can hit about 50 with. The main thing about casting for distances is to match up sinker size to your rod rating. You can stretch it a little on the heavy side, especially if you have an extra heavy duty pole. My old eagle claw has no rating on the rod, but I figured it was rated at about 3 oz, if I use a 5 oz for distance on it the most i can get is about 40 yards. I am by no means a distance caster.....

I have a friend who I have saw hit the end of his spool on a ABU 6500 using his 12' breakaway rod. Hope this helps.

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    on my first day with a 3 0z bank sinker, I threw my 6500c3 on a 11' catmaxx heavy well over 100 yards, then spent the next 15 minutes digging the nest out. :smile2::smile2::smile2: I do not have to throw that far, but I can get it out there as long as I have to hit the horizon and not a point.:smile2::smile2::confused2:

6. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    On windy day's 30 mph.Or so,I like to use an engine block. but on calm days can get buy with 3/8 oz with a 6501c3 abu. medium rod 8 foot.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    rod and reel i'm a spinning reel fan so here is an outfit that will push 150+ yds and cost less than 200 dollars.

rod- 12 ft okuma solaris cost 100 dollars
    reel- okuma epixor eb-65 cost 60 dollars
    line- 300 yd spool of 20 lb test braid (power pro,suffix,or any other braid of your choice) cost 40-45 dollars.

i have this rig with an eb80 and it will go over 150yds with a 4oz sinker and a small bait. with a 5oz you can push 175 yds.

hope this helps you out.

8. mopar

mopar New Member

State:
    arkansas
    A 15 foot meat hunter rod medium heavy and a daiwa saltist loaded with 30 or 40lb line is hard to beat if your throwing 6 to 8 oz sinkers.