BEST RIG SET UP FOR HEAVY SNAGS

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by twisted, May 14, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

we just recently found this area that has been killer for cats but there is only one spot that is pretty snag free that we can get to and only enough room for 1 person.
    the other spot is about 15 feet from that one but 90% of the time you get snagged on something.its all under a bridge and we can only fish on either side of the bridge support.

we are using a carolina rig and that is getting hung up on everything.i tried a different version of a carolina rig where the sinker is on a drop line.the drop line is of a thinner line so that will break away 1st but its still not working.the current is to strong for a bobber set up.

any ideas ?

you can kind of see the area in this pic.its under a bridge and you can see the pylon/pillar for the bridge in the background.we fish on either side of it. (friend with walleye)

[​IMG]

heres some fish from the other night from one side..

[​IMG]

any ideas would be appreciated ! thanks

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    sounds like you are using something similar to a three way rig (which is what I was going to suggest). only other thing that I can think of is try to use a pencil type sinker if you can find one heavy enough...Some folks use tire weights if they cant find any pencil sinkers...if you're using egg sinkers, try a flat one. it will roll less and wont get snagged as much. I hope this helps.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I would try a small bobber on my carolina rig to keep the hook off of the bottom.

4. twisted

twisted New Member

Flatheadhunter33, im using sinkers that are shaped in a cone or a bullet.

1mickymoo, are you talking about using a small float down by the hook ?

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Have a look at stand up jig heads. I have used them with great success. Nothing flailing around to get hung up, just a hook with the weight built in...W

6. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    You might try an in-line planer board if the current is as strong as you say. Use it just like a float and you can guide it across the current to your spot. When you get it there, just engage your reel and it will stay put. Use enough weight to suspend your bait just off the bottom and you're all set.

Good luck. Catch a big one.

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    yes I was talking abour a small float near the hook.

8. twisted

twisted New Member

well i got some small floats and some of the bottom bouncers.ill give them a shot and get back to ya.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice fish, I would use a three way swivel or slip bobber rig for that spot.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Looking forward to your report brother:wink:

11. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks guys for all the help. i wanted to go tonight but no one else wanted to. :confused2:

12. twisted

twisted New Member

well i got out tonight and used a float down by the hook and it worked great. now i just have to find a better knot to use.

i was using a sinch knot and one that was on the back of my spyder wire box (sorry forgot the name) and they both failed me tonight on a couple of occasions. only 1 snag though !

not a bad night either. caught a 1lb cat and two 3lbs cats and a bunch of eating size white perch.(lost a couple of good sized fish do to the knot,well i assume it was the knot).

thanks for all the help guys, you rock !

13. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    use a drop shot rig it will keep the bait suspended above the bottom and ya dont have to have any bobbers this way

14. twisted

twisted New Member

15. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think I will try this.

16. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    if using a three way swivel, if ur main line is 30 lb test per say. and 50 lb leader, tie on ur sinker using 8lb test so u just lose ur sinker, better than losing it all!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Or better yet just use say the 30 lb test for the sinker. Tie a knot in the end of the leader for the sinker. Then thread the sinker on below the sinker add a split shot. Hang up and you can pull the split shot off and the sinker drops off. Then you only add the new sinker and split shot. Back to fishing ,:cool2:
    Pete

18. twisted

twisted New Member

thats a good idea. you guys are helping alot !

19. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Have you tried slinky sinkers? Basically a long, flexible sinker. You take a length of hollow nylon rope, melt one end shut. Fill it with split shot (or buckshot or whatever) until it's as heavy as you want it. Then melt the other end shut and attach a snap swivel. Use the swivel to attach it too your line. These things are amazing... they usually don't get snagged at all, because they are flexible and work their way around the snag.

Another thing I do when fishing in cover: Rig up a basic sliding sinker rig with a no-roll heavy enough to hold bottom. Instead of tying on a swivel, I just let the lead slide all the way up to the hook (add a bead to cushion the knot). It lets less line out to flop around and get snagged. It doesn't always work, and when you get hung up, you will lose your hook... but it works often enough to make it worthwhile.