Best rig for gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by shellerflat, Apr 13, 2007.

1. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have always had gar hit while I have fished for flatheads and channels with live bream. I miss the majority of the fish that hit. Is this because a circle hook does not work for them or because I need a 2 hook system; one hook with another hook 6-8 inches behind it?

2. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    If they are mostly longnose, find the rope lure thread on here and attach something similar to it along with your catfish rig, this way you'll catch both catfish and gar.

For instance, you could put the rope lure onto a snap swivel and attach it to the eye of your circle hook, so the rope dangles near the bait. This way when the gar start "pecking" at it, they'll tangle themselves and you'll catch them as well as cats who just take the bait and get hooked.

3. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If your fishing just for Gar, the rope lure works well, with or without a hook. Very hard to get the threads out of the Gar's teeth, though. See the Library here. We use 7/0 circle hooks and catch a lot of Gar while catfishin with live bream hooked through the mouth.

4. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I agree with Chuck, nothing beats a length of frayed nylon rope for gar. I bring a stiff brush along to comb the rope out of the teeth. It's a little safer than getting your hands in there.

5. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    Love catching gar. I just don't have a very high success rate with hooks. How does one fish a rope lure? how many gar can you catch before the lure is destroyed.

6. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    See the Library here on this site. I depends, like most other baits. I have cought 5 catfish on the same shrimp. Nylon rope is cheap.......25 FT wil last a very long time. I make up 20 or so on a rainy day when I am bored.

7. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here is one a friend of my son cought

Attached Files:

8. KScatwoman

KScatwoman New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    A spoon, spinner, or crankbait with the hooks removed and a length of frayed nylon rope (6-8") works great on gar. They have a bony beak that a hook just can't penetrate, but their zillions of needle sharp teeth get snagged very easily on the nylon (especially if they roll when they hit the lure). They're scary looking things, I know when I was little I used to scream like a banshee when my grandpa would bring them home lol. :big_smile:

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're using bait, let them run with it for a bit. They tend to move away and then settle down to eat once they can position the bait better. The last gar I caught circled down to the bottom of the hole and then stopped. I gently reeled in the slack and then slammed it home. The fish jumped like crazy. This almost always hooks their gullet or gut, so if you don't plan on keeping it you want to use thin wire hooks that dissolve faster (their enzymes are legendary).

Remember, these are dinosaurs. Fossilized gar have been found in shale. They've been around longer than we have, and will probably outlive us.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If they are alligator gar, the rope lure doesn't work as well. We use a #4/0 or #5/0, sometimes larger trebble on 4 ft of 120 lb nylon coated steel leader with 85lb braided line when fishing for big ones. Baits of 1-5lbs are common. Let 'em run, wait till the seem to sit for a while, and set the hook.

11. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    If you want to catch Gar, the best I have used is the wire loop. The Gar does not stop to take bait. The mouth area is very hard and hooks do not bed themselves well, as I am sure, you all know. You can make you own loops out of wire leader, swivels, snaps and a button. Put a swivel on the top end of the wire leader, then the button, then another swivel with a snap. Push the snap through the bait and slide the bait to the middle of the wire. Now put the snap below the top swivel but under the button. The button keeps the snap from catching on the bottom of the top swivel. Now you have a loop with the bait hanging at the bottom middle of the loop. I forgot to tell you to use a cork. The loop should be about 12 to 16 inches under the cork. When the gar goes for the bait, the loop will close around his top jaw. I have caught salt-water gar up to 102lb with this loop.
    Good luck
    Joe