Best rig for fishing rivers?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by deepforkrunner, Apr 20, 2007.

1. deepforkrunner

deepforkrunner New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hello everybody, I'm new to this website and was wondering what is the best way to rig ur line for fishing in a river?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The most common is a "slip sinker rig" also called a "carolina rig" on the bottom.

3. MuddyWaterCats

MuddyWaterCats New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for asking that question josh, but I think that it just depends on what you like. try em all and figure out which one you like best. That Deepfork is a good river for flatheads so catch a big one.

4. deepforkrunner

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the advice, the Deepfork is a great place to catch big monster flatcats.

5. deepforkrunner

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes that is true thanks.

6. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    You need , 3 way swivel , Tie on leader line with hook 10-12in., tie on line with sinker 8-10in. ,sinker weight depends on river current, tie to pole line . This will keep your bait just off the bottom . Works great for most any kind of fish , any kind of bait .

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    How you rig depends on what species you're fishing for, the prevailing water conditions (IE: current, water levels, clarity, ect.), and what type of bait you're using.

For stationary or drift fishing for blues and flats I typically use a simple Carolina rig consisting of a no roll sinker such as a flat or a pyramid (Weight depending on water conditions), a high quality ball bearing barrel swivel (Such as Spro or Sampo), a plastic bead seperating the sinker and the knot tied onto the swivel, and a Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook (size depending on bait selection).

For walking a bait downstream in current...I use as little weight as possible. (Sometimes nothing...sometimes perhaps a small split shot...other times in heavy current...perhaps a 1 oz sinker) Just enough weight to keep your bait down towards the bottom, but yet light enough to allow it to move downstream when you raise your rod tip and let some slack line out. (For a more detailed description of this bait walking method look up a post I made that's in the BOC library...titled "River Fishing")

A 3 way swivel rig is handy when targeting suspending cats...or in heavy current...especially so with a weedy bottom...so your bait stays above the snags.

I prefer to use a treble hook when fishing with liver, spoonbill or gar eggs, or beef melt. A treble obviously retains a mushy bait better than any other.

The bad thing...IF...you plan on releasing your catch is that many are mortally hooked when using a treble. I only use one if I'm meat hunting.

A float rig has a place in catfishing as well. Especially so around heavy cover or a shallow riffle.

I've caught many a nice flathead on a perch rigged below a bobber big enough to float it in and around gnarly root balls and log jams on the Neosho river that I fish here in Kansas.

Experimentation pays off as well...I sometimes use a small slip float rigged below the sinker and above the hook to keep my bait off the bottom in still water....rising it above the weeds and so forth.

Also...when fishing on the bottom...try attaching a smaller hook to the bend of your larger primary hook...and hook your live perch, shiner, chub, or shad slightly above the anal fin at the bottom of your bait fish. (So your bait won't die quicker from exaustion as they sometimes do when hook below the dorsal fin) Finicky flathead or pressured fish won't feel the primary larger hook...and won't as readily spit out and reject your bait.

I saw that In-Fisherman advertises a book on various ways to rig your terminal tackle....as well as one about different knots.

It's hard to go wrong with a carolina rig overall due to it's versatility.

Try these suggestions out...and research such jewels as In-Fisherman...Fishing Facts...and even Bass Master magazine has occasional live bait rigging suggestions.

In-Fisherman has a wealth of books and dvds that are very well written in lay terminology.

Good luck this fishing season.

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Welcome to the site....I would use the bottom rig you have the most confidence in, keep an "open" mind, and read, read, read....DemoMan

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Welcome to the B.O.C.! yOu'll find that thier are MANY different ways to rig it up. depends on where and what your fishing for.
    :cool2:

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Its true that there are alot of dvd's and books out there. I own a catfish book and I haven't opened it since I found the BOC. There is more info on this site, and real people to help you out than you can find in any book or DVD. Save your money and just use the site. As for me I almost exclusively use the carolina rig, 120# main braided line, 4-5oz no roll, 2/0 swivel/bead, polomar knot, and 80# gorilla braid leader with 7/0-10/0 gama octopus hook depending on bait size. Good luck with your fishing the BOC has a ton of knowledge.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    depends the current, but i usually use a heavy abnk sinker and a short leader on my slip rig. the no roll sinkers are hard to beat for this.
    if you're fishing flatheads, and there's good shoreline cover, you might consider a slipfloat and drift the bait by the cover, or let it hover above the cover.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25: :0a25: :0a18: Josh welcome to the BOC. It looks like you got a lot of good answers to your question. That is what the BOC is all about. Helping each other and all learning together.:lol: :big_smile:

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, Josh I think the best river rig is a three swivel way rig in high snags areas I would use a slip float rig.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    try a drop rig. i fish alot of current and it works really well for me. make sure you have enough weight to keep it down. 3 or 4 oz should do the trick. good luck

15. CatfishUgly

CatfishUgly New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Do what feels right and try all the rigs you can think of get out there and go fishing