Best Rig For Fishing On Rocky Bottom

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SnagHatr76, Aug 29, 2009.

1. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just wanted to get some input on peoples favorie rig for fishing an area with a rocky bottom or fishing around big cement slabs. I like to fish these areas but it seems I always end up leaving a bunch of tackle in the river.

2. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Depends on the bait but I prefer a three way rig with a big pyramid sinker myself, I cast my own so I make 'sacrifice' rigs, I only use 10 pound test on the sinker leader (30lb test for the hook and 25 lb mono on the reel) and as long as I can still feel the bait moving if I get hung up I just leave it and a lot of times a big one will snatch the bait, break the weight off and the fight is on. If I don't get a bite I usually only lose the sinker which is essentially free (I have a 5 gallon bucket almost full of old wheel weights) and keep the hook and 3 way that I have to pay for .... I also make 'bank' sinkers which are nice if you want the current to slide the bait right into a snag or drift fish and egg sinkers which I use mainly for fishing slack water where I don't have the current to make the 3 way rigs work and on bank lines ... All three I use 3-6 oz sizes with 4 and 5 oz working best with the bait, rigs and equipment I use

I prefer the pyramids because I can put it exactly where I want it and get it to stick, which in the long run keeps me from getting snagged as much in many situations .... I like the circle and hybrid double action hooks (Tip curves back like a circle but the body is shaped more like a kahle leaving a nice wide gap) best because they don't get snagged in wood as easily

Of course if you have to buy weights (or lead) then it can get kind of expensive but if you sacrifice a lot of sinkers it doesn't take long for the molds and melting pot to pay for themselves. Plus around here weights larger than 2 oz are hard to come by

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

couldn't agree with you more

4. Catfish Dave

Catfish Dave New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to agree with the previous posters as a general statement. I use three way swivels with similar rigs more often than not.

Recently, however, I've transitioned back to a simple swivel below a heavy (2-3oz) slip sinker, followed by a 12"-24" line to the hook.

I've switched as a result of the fact that, while drifting, I have been having problems with my line between the three-way swivel and the hook twisting into a tight knot.

This may be a result of the way that I hook my baits (hooked through the mouth, pull the hook through, then hook it through the back) or this may be changes in the way the rig behaves while drifting.

Dave.

Editted as a result of an accidental early submission.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  5. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks I will try those methods

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh welcome to the BOC. Another method of fishing rockie areas is the Kat Bobbers sold by one of our sponsors, Wild Wolf products. Check out their website. Great hook ups and little hang ups.