Best rig for eater size channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I'd like to know what you think is the best rig for eatin-size channel cats in a still, man-made lake. I use mostly nightcrawlers, but put on cut-bait when I'm wanting the bigger cats. I also use kahles, if that effects the rig choice at all.

It'd also be nice if you explained how to set up the rig, or provided a diagram or somethin' like that. :big_smile:

Thanks,
    Adrian.

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    This is the rig i use mostly for channel cats 1 ounce egg sinker ,4/0 gama circle hook snelled and barrel swivel i usually have weight between sinker and swivel. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

3. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    mines same thing but here lately i bought few of the *catfish* rigs at wally-mart and with a decent bait holder hook seems to do fine for channels.

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    So in that rig does the bait just lay on the bottom?

5. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    youere line asmall bead tied to aswivel a 18 i.n.leadder one of the looper hooks put Dons Punch bait on it get readyfor the fish.

6. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gibbzilla: In a pond or lake with no current I would use a slip bobber rig with cut bluegill for bait, although you will have to find the bait that works for you. I would use about a 4/0 or 5/0 Kahle. This rig will let you fish at different depths without a lot of re-rigging.
    You should be able to find a description of a slip bobber rig in the archives. Good luck.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    If you use live minnows or small shad it wont but other than that yes bait will be on bottom.Or you can add 2 inch crappie cigar float couple inches from the bait to keep it up.

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Channels like stuf on the bottom, although scent will get out better by having it suspended by some type of float. A slip float rig usually works best because it allows for longer more accurate casts.

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you use nightcrawlers you can inject them with air to get them off the bottom.:big_smile:

10. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    as far as "eater-sized" cats go, if you've got a rig that works effectively for the waters you fish, i wouldn't change it, save for maybe the size of the hook. khales are great hooks by the way. i've found that the size of cat you catch has more to do with the bait you're using. i tend to catch all sizes of cats on nightcrawlers. big ones i catch on hot dog chunks. when i wanna catch small ones (rarely) i use a dip bait on a baitholder treble hook. try some hog wild dip bait.

11. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Since I target planted fish, I'll use a Carolina (slip sinker) rig with an 2' leader and 1/2 oz. sinker. I'm fishing from the bank in still water, so I can use a bobber on a hook as a strike indicator; I'll hang the bobber on the line between two lines on the rod, letting bobber droop about 8". After line has settled in the water, if bobber moves up or down, I know something is playing with the bait.

-- Rich

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Best way I have found to rig for Eating size channels are to hook a weight at the very bottom, come up approx 2' make a 2' loop double knot it cut one side tie on a #2 crappie hook and either use white shrimp peel on with splash of garlic or a night crawler half...Note if the bottom is mucky you can add small piece of actual cork near the hook and it will float your bait off the bottom...I hope this helps...We use this type rig here in My local Illinois lake all the time with lots of luck...