Best rig for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by built2crash, Apr 4, 2006.

1. built2crash

built2crash New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Hey all, Im new here and am just about to start the season.. few questions for ya..
    1) what is the best rig for fishing channel cats off shore, where we fish is small bay off the lake that goes back to a slang, its muddy bottom about 3 -8' deep. I have always used a carolina rig (egg sinker with splitshot), but am thinking maybe to use a float somehow to keep the bait out of the weeds, just not sure how to best do this.
    2) the ice just went out here and the water is cold like 38-39* is that too cold to catch cats? thank!

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    If you want to keep your bait off the bottom, there is an easy way to modify a carolina rig. Basically, all you do is tie your normal carolina rig, but add a slip float on the leader. Your weight will still be on the bottom, but the float will raise your leader off the bottom, which will make it easier for the fish to get a hold of your bait.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    depending on how deep you want to suspend your bait a slit float would be perfect.

4. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    First, Welcome to the BOC, I don't recommend splitshots they flatten out the line and make it weak. If you want to use a float get one that can be adjusted, like a slip float. Use bobber stops instead of splitshots, they won't weaken the line. Good luck, let us know how you do.

5. BigBlues

BigBlues New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Slip float always works for me:)

6. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Three-way rigs are also good because the keep the bait suspended off the bottom in current.

7. fishboy

fishboy New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the ideas

8. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    About all i can add is welcome to the family glad to have you jpoin first off what type fish are you targeting trophy channels or eating size channels.

If trophy channels is what your after cut shad as bait is good. along with creek chubs.

Glad to see more are noticing that keeping the bait off bottom inproves there hook up and catch rate.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome!!!!

You will learn a lot here, I have!!

Bets rig in my opinion is a drift rig if you are fishing from a boat, or you can use it from shore. s_self88 summarized it fairly well. Six cats fell victim to it today, including an eight pounder.

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    In the situation you are describing, I like a three way swivle. you can adjust the height by shortening or lenghtening the leader to the sinker and tight lineing. Slip floats work well to determine where the fish are feeding best. A regular float will work good for channels also. They don't just feed on the bottom.

11. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Welcome to the BOC

12. RRaider

RRaider Guest

Last weekend I decided to try something different. I tied a circle hook about 20 inches from the bottom of the line and my weight on bottom. Was using minnows for bait. It was the only pole we caught anything on. However the two fish we caught were 3lb LMB but I think it will work for cats as well.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!, I think the best rig is a slip bobber rig. That rig always work for me.

14. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I generally just put a 2 ounce weight about 18" up from the hook, then bait the hook with cut bait for the bigger ones, or liver with elastic thread to hold it on the hook for the smaler ones. I tend to pull out a good number of 5-7 pounders on the cut bait here at my lake. Been thinking a lot about the ways these guys here talk about rigging theirs to stay off the bottom and I plan on giving it a shot to see if it improves the number of hits I get or hookups. Most the guys I've fished with run a weight at the end of the line and then tie on an 18" leader about 24" up the line to put their hooks on, but it seems I usually outfish them. I don't know if that's due to my rigging style, or the fact that they tend to fish with crawlers 90% of the time.