Best reels spinner or casting

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by steve jurich, May 31, 2007.

1. steve jurich

steve jurich New Member

State:
    arizona
    most of my poles are spinners but heavy duty . I have one pole that i use with a penn 209, whitch is like some or equal to the new casting reels out now. thanhs to all those who reply steve (lungercat)

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i use both, i like them both in different aplications.

3. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    spinning reels tend to be more effective when needed for longer casting or when there is no cover present

casting reels are the power reels, the brute ones for bigger fish and for cover. abu garcia and penn gti are both good reels that are affordable. you can get into shmano tld for more money. just try looking for reels with a clicker, its a definite bonus

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use spinning reels most of the time and I love the Okuma Coronado CD90. Great reel for about 75 bucks. I also own several Mitchell Freerunners and I really like them also.

5. wader

wader New Member

State:
    george west texas
    I love the abu garcia bait casting reels not only are they good and will handle the big boys but they will last a lifetime....and are not to hard on the pocket book.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I only use spinners havent tackled on a casting reel I just wanna to be fishing not taking the time to figure out how not birdnest every time I cast. They say once you do a casting reel you wont go back. But in my opinion spinning easier to use and cheaper casting more power for the brutes. I have only use baitcasting on the few times I have went deep sea fishing.

7. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    • i have used spinning casting and the ole zebco 33s. i like baitcaster hands down do to it being a workhorse and also u gotta love that clicking sound when a monster hits :)

8. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Spinning reels can handle the big ones and definately do have a place in fishing for the monsters. I have seen 60 pound blues brought in on spinning reels no problem. They put line on the reel much faster which can be very useful, for vertical drifting they are much easier to keep at a precise location, and their drag systems are usually much more sensitive and can be fine tuned much easier to allow the fish to take it without as much resistance, especially on liverunner models.

The only time I use a casting reel is when fishing heavy cover when winch like capabilities are needed, other than that-give me a saltwater spinning reel.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I use both spinning and baitcaster depending on the application....I use the spinning reels for "float" fishing on long poles.....I use the baitcaster's for "bottom" fishing....That's not a set rule or anything, but just a general rule I go by, I like both.....But if you want a "bulldog" reel, get an Abu Garcia 7000iC3, jus my 2 cents.....Dwight

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both myself, I am planning on adding a Shimano 4500 Baitruner for fishing light weights, freelining, and using a slip float rig. I like my baitcasters for throwing big heavy weights and baits a good ways.

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    baitcaster all the way. And only penn and abu garcia's!! There is nothing like hearing your bite!! That starts a cycle of adrenaline that ends with netting the fish. Once you here it you'll never sleep the same again!!

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I only use spinning reels and personally think that casting reels are too hard to use and alot of em are just overpriced junk. JMO.
    yeah,yeah... I knowthey have thier advantages however if getting a birds nest is good fishing then by all means knock yourself out.
    -Later

OH yeah....It's MY opinion.:roll_eyes:

13. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    buddah,

Baitcasters are not junk....Birdnesting happens when you don't follow the manufactor's instructions on "how to setup/cast" a baitcaster....I started out with a "tight" setting as instructed and have only had one cast that "birdnested"....You have to develope good "casting habits" and "pay attention" to what you're doing....Untill good "reflex" habits are developed, shooting the bull with a fishing partner while casting, aint a good idea....lol.....Dwight

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Oh, Your probably right but I have fiddeled with them for too long and just prefer a spin rig. After all the fish really dont care! My opinion is just that... My opinion DARN IT!

15. pat muckelroy

pat muckelroy New Member

State:
    texas
    I take both with me when I go to the river or lake. I use the spinner type for smaller fish. A five lb. channel is fun to land on a light spinning reel. I use use Abu Garcia reels from 5500 to 7000 for the big catfish. By using both, I can catch perch for bait on up to a 50 lb. yellow cat or bigger. Pat Muckelroy

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    LOL....I have three spinning reels myself....I like em too....Dwight

17. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I use both but do like the baitcaster better. Seems to be alot stronger kinda like a winch to winch the big boys in to you.:big_smile: But there is no reason why you cant use both.

18. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks for all the help I have been looking around and have found okuma spinning reels with a baitfeeder for 50 60 and 90$ but cc catalog showed up and I think they have the same ones for 30 40 and 45$ plus shipping They are the avengers with btf I think and I saw think link for rogers sporting goods all you have been talking about and I am perplexed on how well the 9000 will cast with out seeing and trying it first.