Best reel for Big Catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Bravesfan257, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bravesfan257

Bravesfan257 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey I was wanting to know what kind of reel would yall suggest for the monster cats. I am talking about the 40+ Cats. I have caught lots of catfish including some big ones. I would prefer A Baitcaster. I have look at the Abu Garcia 6500C3 2005 and 2006. I like them alot but I did not know if they would hold up to that size of cat. Also I am looking to spend only 200 Dollars

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Only 200 on one reel or two? one reel you could get just about any great cat reel. Two youd be kind of limited. One reel I'd like to have would be a penn 320ld or 330ld $129-139. For two reels you could get the new classic 6500c3 with a new and improved drag if you like that size. or you could step it up to two of the 7000c3 (I dont think they have the classic for the 7000 size) for just under $200 before tax /or shipping.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the Abu 7000 for big cats,you can get them at wal-mart for about 100 bucks.Ive got two of them and i like them alot,im getting ready to get a 6500c3 pretty soon for smaller cats.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    okuma makes some decent BIG reels for under $100. strong drag! I have heard a couple of complaints (clickers mainly) with their cheeper models like the classic but Id imagine their pricer reels (titus-convector..) are of better quality. Cabelas has a buy a convector reel get 300yds of tuff line free

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Man for 40lb+ flatheads, I would go with the above mentioned penns or I'd step up to the 7000 or 10000 in the abus. I feel that the 6500, although a great reel, just aren't quite big enough for trophy class flatheads.

6. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

That CHEAP Classic you are referring too .. I have 3 of them. They have caught blacktip shark up to 100+lbs. And we all know they will out-fight a catfish anyday.. plus their clickers are just as loud as Abu's... nothing is as loud as a good Penn clicker.. as far as guts and being durable, I would put a Okuma classic up against a 7000 ANY DAY.. hell.. I have.. and they come out shining.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

Ok, curiosity has gotten the best of me. What kinda catfishin do you do? What size cats to you bring in? Are they worn out from being on a jug for hours?

From what I've seen, a large Blue hit harder than just about any fresh water fish of the same size.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    After thinking long and hard I don't know if there is a "Best Reel" but just what each one of us likes best really. Being that theres so many reels on the market now days, I'd say that they are a group of "Best Reels" that one would perfer.

9. walking gizzard

walking gizzard New Member

State:
    illinois
    check out catfish connection it has lots of good reels with decent prices. I have couple of the so-called cheaper reels that work great.

10. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i've heard that abu 7000's are the best and penn 209. But really if you think about it, if you play the fish right you could bring a trophy in on abu 5000. My biggest flathead this year 22lbs came on a sierra 4500 with 12 pound test line.

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Well, I am glad the okumas withstand sharks, but they won't hold up to 65lb blue CATFISH. I have an okuma CN 30L, and bought it brand new about 2 1/2 years ago. The first big fish I caught was a 65lb blue, the darn handle almost fell off while fighting the fish:mad: and the level wind has had to be fixed twice. So much for okuma reels for me and I have heard of the same things happening to others to while fighting CATFISH.

12. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    wow, i have never had a reel fall apart on me while fighting a catfish or shark. I dont know what i would do probaly pack all of my stuff up and go home, because it would be the type of anger you dont want other people to see:mad:

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I know man I got a cl300l for $28 and for the price I paid I love it I've had mine for a year now and its been a prety good reel. The clicker aint as strong as I'd like but its good enough. The level wind does seem extemely cheep on them I'll agree, if mine mest up though Id just take it off and keep fishing (If I paid more I'd be :mad: ). I assumed they would have put a better levelwind on the cn series. The drag to me seems stronger than a 7000, and thats good enough for me. I dont think a fish is gonna spit its guts, as far as the handle about coming off I'd hope it just came loose instead of striping out. For some wanting to pull in 40#+ consistantly on the cheep, a classic 300 and a cheep snagging rod (~$30) should hold up for around $60;) Imho

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Oh yea the cast break sucks on them too. I have to turn mine off till I barely feel it and thumb my casts, because of the cheep plastic spools arnt smooth. so I guess if you get um cheep their great reels.

15. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I caught a 15 pound flathead on 12 pound test with a Quantum nitrous 40 bass reel. I think alot of reels work fine I use Quantum reels and have had
    good luck with them bvut the biggest I've caught is a 18 pounder. I lost a real big one last year with a Quantum Trophy 60 bit that was my fault.
    My other ones or 2 Quantum Optix 80's and 2 Quantum Blue runners 20 trolling
    and Quantum Blue runner 30 trolling I like mine.

16. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have 2 okuma 30l classics and i love them. as far as them falling apart and all that i dont know what to think. just last year i caught a 52,46,32,30 and several 15-20 pounders on these cheap reels. oh yeah and i was fishing from the bank! i wouldnt trade them for a truck load of 6500's. they are inexpensive, no frills reels but that is why i got them. i fish in really rough rocky terrain and i am pretty hard on my equiptment so i wanted something that didnt cost a fortune. the only prob i have had is i wore a pawl out on one of them. i wish i had a dime for all the pawls i have worn out on those overrated abu garcia pieces of junk.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    OOOOOH If we get as mutch tax refund back as we are supposed to, I might be able to talk the woman of the house into letting me get that new penn ld Ive been looking at, and a tiger rod to put it on.

18. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I am currently mad at quantum reels. I had one come apart on me while reeling in a cat on hartwell in pitch black darkness. Luckily I was bank fishing, but I still had to walk backwards through the woods for about a hundred feet to drag the fish to shore. My favorties are the Bass Pro Johnny Morris JMX 10SB and the all time classic Ambassadeur 5000 (Which is the same model my grandfather and dad used).

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You can't go wrong with Penn reels. There drag system is what matters for Large fish and they are reasonably priced. Check out the 220 gto's I think you will be happy with them....

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I own the following baitcasters..Abu 7000, Penn 310 gti, Penn320 gt2, Tidewater 20L, Abu 6000, Abu 6500, Abu 6500 Trophy..Mt favorite is the new 2006 Abu 6500 With the updated drag, this new drag is super smooth and strong..I would trust this reel on a 50 -lb flathead anyday...My biggest flathead of 50-lbs came on a 6500 trophy reel.