Best Recipe

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gaspagoo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Gaspagoo

Gaspagoo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What is your best fish recipe?

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i mix yellow cornmeal with salt and a lot of pepper. used that for 30 years. every once in a while i'll use white. anyone that uses batter is because they have to "pad" the fish because they can't catch enough.

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    potatoes sliced 1/4 inch
    Vidalia onions sliced 1/4 inch
    Catfish fillets or nuggets, all skin removed
    5 slices of fat back

Fry fat back in the bottom of a large two handled pot with lid (dutch oven). Remove the fatback and leave the grease. Snack on the fat back if your doctor don't care. Layer potatoes, onions and catfish until the pot is almost full, being sure to end with catfish. Add water just to the top of the last layer of catfish. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Enjoy.:wink:

Not real fancy, but I like it because it maintains the flavor of the catfish and there ain't nothing better to eat.:smile2::smile2::big_smile::crazy:

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    We used to have fish fries for various church groups, and I found that some people just prefer a batter on catfish; and some folks like a thin crust, while others like a thick crust. Personally, I prefer cornmeal with some Tony Chacheres seasoning mixed in.
    Also, I have the same opinion of tartar sauce as I do of steak sauce...if it's good enough, you don't need any; the less good it is, the more you need some sauce on it.

But we have two favorite recipes. One is fried with the cornmeal mentioned above, the other is broiled. Pat the fillets dry with a paper towel, then season them to your taste. Lay them on a foil-covered broiling pan skin side down (Yes, the skin has been removed, but that's still the skin side), then coat the top side with about 1/4" of mayonnaise. Place in the oven as far away from the heat as possible and broil till the mayonnaise is starting to turn dark brown. Test the fillets for doneness. Unless they're really thin, they won't be done. Switch the oven to bake at 350 and bake till the fillets flake easily when tested with a fork. Don't say 'YUK' till you've tried it. This recipe is already posted in the diner section.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Jerry, I've heard of the mayo thing, only I think it had parmesan cheese as a topping.

Since I now know how to spell cholesterol, I'm gonna experiment with some fat free ranch dressing...I'll report back if it's fit to eat.

I used to fry fish with meal and Tony C's (3:1), but it was just too salty for my taste, and if I cut back on the seasoning, I gave up much of what makes it so good... so I messed around and worked up my own cajun seasoning, with MUCH less salt.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Like parmesan cheese? Try mixing your cornmeal 50/50 with parmesan cheese, then deep fry.

7. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Cornmeal, garlic salt and lemon pepper. Deep fried till it floats.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    We like to do dip it in egg/milk/tobasco then use tony chacheres fish fry and add a little extra tony chacheres seasoning to it.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    louisiana seasoned fish fry :wink: tonys creole seasoning is pretty good on alot of stuff some times i mix it with my mayo or merical whip for fish dip. gonna have to look for tonys fish fry bet its good

10. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`m not a fan of heavy breadings. I cut cat fish filets into 1-2 inch nuggets and deep fry. Here is my batter mix, Onion Ring Mix. It`s lighter than regular fish batters, I sub beer for water then add Old Bay seasoning,lemon pepper, a little dill weed and a few hot pepper flakes. No set amounts on the additives just spinkle in to suit you but go easy on the dill weed.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You'll find that Tony Chachere has several different blends of spices out there, ranging from 'creole seasoning' to 'herbs & spices' to 'more herbs & spices'; probably more that I haven't run across yet. Zatarains makes some good spices, too. Their creole seasoning has a somewhat different taste than Tony Chacheres. Both good, though.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I really dont like breading on any fish or seafood myself. I usually soak channel filets in lemon juice and cayenne pepper and ground pepper and kosher salt for about 4 hours max or it starts to become Ceviche. Then I dry them and into the deep fryer 350% max heat.

13. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I put mustard all over the fish place it in a zip lock bag. Let it sit in frig over night. Take it out and fry it with your favorite fish fry. Your belly will be singing all day long.:smile2:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Try seasoning with salt and lemon pepper, then broiling the fillets. It's a personal preference, but I don't ever turn my fillets over when broiling or baking them; just adjust the heat, or distance from the flame/heating element.

15. IaCAT

IaCAT New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This may be a little off topic but it seems like a good time to post this question. What is easy/best way to cook up some cats? I have a freezer full and wanting to start cooking some up. I have limited cooking resources at the moment, what can I do with a iron skillet and/or oven? Any suggestiong guys?

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Thanks Jerry, I actually do that with cats sometimes or cod fillets. I wrap in aluminum foil with mater and onion slices and a few wedges of lemon. Of course salt and pepper. In the oven it goes.

17. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Good on the grill too.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Assuming your skillet is a good, heavy, well seasoned one, put a couple of teaspoons of olive oil in it, and heat it as hot as you can get it w/o scorching the oil.

Dry your fillets with paper towels, season with garlic salt and fresh ground pepper, , and pop 'em in the skillet. Turn as necessary, and don't overcook. Squeeze the juice of a fresh lemon on them while still in the skillet, remove from skillet, and place on plates alongside rice.

Deglaze your skillet with a splash of white wine, and pour all of this skillet goody over the fish and rice, then top with chopped green onions.

Serve with a nice spinach salad. Enjoy.

Oh, and finish that bottle of wine...that stuff goes bad, once opened.:wink:

19. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I sprinkle my fillets with a little Tony C's and dredge in the blue and yellow Louisiana Fish Fry mix. Then deep fry them at 350 until they float really well.

Anyone have a good tartar sauce recipe? I've been making mine with mayo, pickle relish, onion and a little Tony C's. I'm getting kind of burned out on that and want to try something different. I like the one from Razzoo's but don't quite know what's in it.

20. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Onion Salid cut up onions in little squares and mix marical whip with it youll know how much marical whip to put in it. Now put in some tobasco sauce to taste. take a peice of fried fish put about half teaspoon on fish put in mouth goooooooooooooooood. thanks Sam Davis