Best Portable Fishfinder

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by chrome-187, Apr 5, 2009.

1. chrome-187

chrome-187 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I've been looking into finally taking the dive and getting a fishfinder. This will be my first unit ever. None of my friends have one either. I mainly do alot of Lure Bass Fishing, so i cover alot of water in ponds and small lakes. I'm speculating that its not going to be too hard to learn though. I'm pretty good with electronics. Anyway, I'm looking for the the best portable FF that i can get under $200,preferably under $150, but will spend the extra $50 if worth it. This is the boat I'm putting it on http://www.pedalboat.com/oz/4/com/fish/sp8/sportsman.html and thats pretty much why I want a portable Unit. portablehttp://store.humminbird.com/ccombo-ccomboBuddy.html And if i go fishing with a buddy I can have a depth finder in his boat. I usually only fish ponds or small lakes. I dont have a trailor, I left the boat in and out of truck. I've been looking at getting the Humminbird 120 or 130 portable. The RF15 kinda looks cool but for some reason I wouldnt fill comfortable with that wireless transducer http://store.humminbird.com/ccombo-ccomboSmartCast.html. Both type units have really good reviews. Does anyone here use one?

2. chrome-187

chrome-187 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    the boat i'll be using it on is a plastic 2 man boat like the bass tracker. its for small lakes and ponds. i only have a trolling motor on it.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Smartcasts - Not a good choice, the transducer will have problems at even pedal boat speeds because of wave action, and the non replaceable battery will die quickly in that type of application. Plus, the sonar performance is very weak.

Fishin Buddy 1200 - Was ok, but would flake out after a few hours when the batteries got low. The newer models may be better, I have not used the 120 or 130.

Those are the ones I've had experience with. Portable units are a compromise. If it were me I'd probably get something like a Humminbird 535, a small 12 volt battery and charger, and then either perma mount the transducer, or buy or make something like this to clamp it on: http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_010095_200_01?$main-Large$

4. chrome-187

chrome-187 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    from my understanding is that the new fishin buddies, the 110, 120, 130, and 140c are just as good as any fishfinders at the same cost?

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Humminbird 535, for comparison, has a bigger screen, higher resolution, and twice the power output of the Fishin Buddy's. List price is $10 cheaper than the Fishin Buddy 120 and $60 less than the 130, but you would still have to come up with a battery and charger. Cabelas sells a 12 volt 8 amp hour battery / charger combo for $30 that would run the 535 for at least 16 hours on a charge.

The trade off is that it would not be quite as portable as the Fishin Buddy.

6. chrome-187

chrome-187 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    if i did decide to go the wired route, how about the garmin 160c? its in color and i can get it remanufactured for $120

7. chrome-187

chrome-187 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    is there a more active forum that i can get help from on this subject? it doesnt seem like its very active here. my first time looking for a good fishing forum. can someone point me to a very active fishing forum? thx

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Fish finders probably aren't one of our strong points here. Folks that get serious about them tend to get the higher end Humminbird and Lowrance units, and you would probably get a lot more responses to a question about one of the Humminbird Side Imagine units for example. There is nothing wrong with a basic unit, but it's harder to find people who retain enough interest in them to keep checking this section and answer questions.

That Garmin looks like a decent unit at that price, I just don't have anything other than pictures and specs to base an opinion upon. It's definitely a couple of notches above the portable Fishin Buddys.