Best poor mans spinning reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by CIRCLE HOOK, Jul 20, 2006.

1. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    So how bout it? What do yall figure is the best working mans spinning reel? I have to use a spinning reel because I feel like I am working for peta with all the birdnests I produce with a baitcaster!!! Need one for catching the biguns. Thanks

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Maybe a shakespere tidewater...I think they make a pretty big spinning reel

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a shakespeare cirrus big water. i love it. it is a very smooth reel. it casts great also.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Check out a shakespeare Alpha for saltwater.

5. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I use a Shakespear Synergy. Works great, smooth caster, decent drag.

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    It is 18 bucks at Wally world

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    South Bend spinning reels make a catfish special that are a good reel for the money. I used one for 3 years with no problems.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I got a NINGBO BX3000 off ebay for $15.00 Plus $5.00 shipping.
    9+1ball bearing it has the bait runner feature hold 220 yds of 12lb. I haven't caught anything real big yet but i like the feel of it.

9. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
    I got a Ningbo BX7000 of ebay for $15 + shiiping Awesome deal fotr the price

10. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I think that the Cableas Salt Striker SBF-50 Baitrunner/King Kat Spinning Combo is one of the best deals out there. 64.98 for combo+free hat.
    This is an Okuma reel in disguise:wink:

I bought 3 of them for that price and I haven't had any issues yet, and I love the fact I can adjust the clicker tension.

Yes, that is still quite a bit of money for some folks, but just my recommendation.

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    rhino makes a decent priced heavy duty spinning reel
    with the bait runner feature mine were around 45-50 bucks shipping included.
    i know what it feels like to birdsnest but you can get it down with practice

only suggestion for practice is do that at home not on the water.
    take and pull out about as much line as you think you are able to cast
    (realistically) and at that point on your spool put a piece of electrical tape
    "black tape" across the coils on your baitcaster spool then reel in the line .
    now you will have less backlashing as the tape will keep the line from looseining and causeing the dreaded birdsnest.
    i use my baitcaster more and more at night now as im getting the hang of it there for a while i would use spinning reel for nite and baitcasters in the daytime.
    hope this is a bit of help some of the fellas on the board told me to use the tape a while back when i asked about preventing backlashes so i am passing it on... it works!!!!!:wink:

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I haven't bought anything but Shimano since I bought my first one. I like the one's with the one finger release and no 'fighting drag'.

ST

13. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    The Alpha has to be the best poor mans spinning real for the buck. I have 4 of them on Fat Cat rods loaded with 60# Tuf-line.

14. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Using the tape is a great idea and an excellent idea when first using a bait caster.

15. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    My Shakespeare Alpha works pretty well. Biggest thing I've got on it is a 15 lb. gar, but it handled that fine. Got some 50 lb. Gorilla Line on there. Pretty cheap at Wally World. I forget exactly how much, but seems like it was around 20 bucks.

16. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Shakespeare Alpha is a good real. I have had one for a couple of seasons now but never got anything really big on it...

Until I happened to hang into a 40# spoonbill. Worked like a dream on it too.

17. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    It's good to know that if I ever do hang into that big 'un, my reel will do it.

18. tonyjohn

tonyjohn New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Flueger President for me on spinning . Smooth as silk, great drag.
    Ambassador 6500 for baitcasting --- i can throw mine 110 yards with a 12 foot nightstick and 3oz of weight .

19. ridgedog

ridgedog New Member

State:
    arkansas
    for the price, shakespeare is the best in my book. smooth casting and reeling.

20. Mr. Abu Garcia

Mr. Abu Garcia New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    yes shakespear is very good real, also try abu garcia.