Best Players Ever

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by derail, May 23, 2008.

1. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I was just sittin here with no football to watch thinking of some old moments gone by. Think my all offense would be Barry Sanders. The man was the original "freak". And very durable. And for defense, I think Steve Atwater of the Broncos was darn good. He beat up my Chiefs all the time. Any thoughts?

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I sure did like to watch Jerry Ball play.. That guy was an amazing Defensive Lineman.. +300lbs and I've seen him run down running backs and receivers DOWN FIELD.. Not to mention his run stuffing ability. He always put out 150%...

Walter Payton was also one to watch. He had some amazing runs..

3. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    well i'm glad to see you are a fooball fan. if'n you want to be happy most of the year, jump on my sooners wagon. it is a wild and winning ride through the season. be careful that dadgum schooner will run over you when it gets to bowl season!!:tounge_out:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only one name to say. LOL!

"EARL CAMPBELL"

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    1982- Cincinnati vs San Diego, Ken Anderson vs Dan Fouts

Over 1000 yards passing, the real beginning of the west coast offense (Bill Walsh was Andersons AND Dan Fouts QB coach).

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    "sweetness" Walter Peyton The man did it all by himself. for most of his career He had about zero O line. Too bad Ditka gave his SB TD to William Perry.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Barry Sanders was a heck of an athelete. He had character that most atheletes lack these days. He never did any dances, after a long run or a TD he simply just handed the ball to the ref, and he was more concerned about the team then individual records. I've seen him run 50 yds for a 10 yard gain. Too bad the lions never made it past the first round of the playoffs with him, shows ya how cheap Ford is......lol

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    JACK HAM DEFENCE AND FRAN THE MAN TORINGTON I'M NOT SURE ON THE SPELLING

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    ted hendrick, jack tatum, kenny "the snake" stabler were some tough players in their day.

10. QBQ

QBQ New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Maybe not a fan favorite but Deion Sanders was on of the best shut down corners ever.
    Held Jerry Rice to 0 catches on occasion during Rice's prime.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    True, But he could'nt tackle worth a dam. LOL!

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    he tackled as well as leonn lett handled the ball....

13. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Neon Deion was a heckuva player. Hate to admit that. And when I start to think of all time "tough guys", half of that 'Bears team seems to come to mind. And a lot of 80's Raiders.

14. FordGuy2001

FordGuy2001 New Member

State:
    Texarkana,Texas
    Peyton Manning will be at the top of the list in all QB stats when his career is over. 1st time ballot to the hall.

15. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    This is a hard question to answer because of different years and teams and all but I have to agree with Brad on this one, Walter Payton was a great player and for what I hear a very good person to deal with. On defence I like Mike Singetary.

16. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Joe Montana. One of, if not THE, best QB of all time. Of course, he had a team that would make anybody look good.

Defense-wise, I'd put my vote in for Reggie White. Heck of a ball player, and a heck of a citizen.

17. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Emmitt Smith and Derrick Thomas, thats my generation!

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    There are a number of great players that have played in the NFL. i Think you have to ask who is the best by position. I think Jerry Rice is one of the greatest but how great could he be if not for a QB

Jim Brown--. He averaged more than 100 yards per game and he was one of the few offensive players that would have defenders quaking in their boots. Not only was he fast, but he was stronger and tougher than everyone else on the field when he played

Jim Thorpe

Barry Sanders

John Elway

Walter Payton and Ronnie Lott. Both of these players were leaders on and off the field, Quality people and set the bar for the rest of the NFL to compare itself too. Their stats were also among the best of all time and they were winners.

19. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Peyton Manning is like a coach on the field nobody can beat him out on that right.He's prob the greatest player on the field today. but as of all-time

John unitas

Ronnie lott

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    There has been lots of greats through the years. Some that have already been mentioned that came to mind were Barry Sanders who in my mind was the best running back of all time. I'm a cowboy fan so Emmitt would have to be second even if on paper it says he's the best. Walter Peyton would have to win for tough man award among running backs with Earl Cambell not far behind. A few coming up would be Adrian Peterson who looked good last year but has a long way to go before I'd consider him great. Another one or two you might watch for is Mcfadden and Jones out of Arkansas. Not just because I'm a Hog fan but these two backs are going to do well in the NFL.

Since I'm a Dallas fan I'll start with Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman as two of my favorite quarterbacks. Brett Farve would have to be one of the best I've seen play as well. I'm sure the old timers in Mac's thread would throw Bart Starr in there somewhere:smile2:.

Heres some other names that have stuck with me through the years, Ed To Tall Jones, Walt Garrison, Mean Joe Green, Lawrence Tailor, Lynn Swan, Dick Butcus, I could go on and on about some great names and hall of fame type players but there is just to many to remember.