Best places to stay while fishing Lake Marion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wild bill jp, Mar 23, 2008.

1. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few good places to stay while fishing Marion? Would like to stay as close to the lake or right on the lake if possible. Heading south from Ky and just need a clean place to rest up after a full day on the lake. Thanks, wild bill jp

2. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    When the water is up Blacks is the best. Great people. Nice place.

3. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I would have to say Harry's.Mike and company treat you like family,while you are there.The room rates are great,and the food is awesome.Two boat ramps,for your use.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I agree with Harrys as it is centrally located between the two lakes.I have known Mike a long time and they go out of their way to make you welcome.All of the camps are pretty much the same as far as rooms etc.:big_smile:

5. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    I would have to say Harry's thats where my wife and I always go to camp.

6. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks to all that replied. I know how it is with a question like this. You don't want to say anything bad about a place and that's the way to be. It's hard to make a choice with such limited info from where I am though. I have a trailor booked at Randolph's already... Will I be OK sticking with that or should I relocate my reservation? Thanks again.......

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I dont mind talking JUNK about them. If it is just you and some buddies Randolphs will be kinda decent but if any of the women are coming it will probably out of the question. I personally wouldnt stay there not a very nice place dirty restaurant and shady things go on there after dark. I hope this doesnt discourage you from coming. If you want to stay in that area look at Cypress Point condos and they sit on the water and are clean.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    If you stay there be sure to bring in all your gear and anything worth value at night. If you are staying for more than a few nights you can usually talk them down on their rates. Good luck fishing!

9. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Stayed at Randolph's one time and one time only many years ago. It's right on the water, but would drive 50/100 miles before i'd stay there again. Rooms not that clean and stuff might disappear.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have to agree with the comments on Randolph's; used to be an excellent place to stay until it was sold a couple of years ago. Not the same now, for sure, including the two catfish tournaments fished out of there each year.
    As for Black's or Harry's, either one is fine, depends on where you want to fish and hang out. There are others good places scattered around the lakes, too, Lake Marion in particular. Not so many choices on Lake Moultrie. :angry:

11. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    I think Blacks Camp or Harrys would be the best. With the water like it is Harrys may be your best bet. Both place treat you great and I have seen Mike at Harrys go above numerous times to help people. I feel safe at Harrys and have never had anything stolen there and many times my boat has been left in the water loaded with gear. Make sure to ask about the best channel to travel wherever you stay to avoid damage to your boat. Good luck.

12. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    never been there personally but when you go let us know how you do

13. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am really glad I asked the question. Didn't want to cause any trouble but also don't want to travel 500 miles and have a bad experience. This site seems to be made up of a great group of folks that just like to fish and enjoy the lakes. Thanks for the good advice. We will be staying with Harry's crew.
    Later, wild bill jp

14. catlow37

catlow37 Member

State:
    Union, SC
    Great choice wild bill, I have stayed there several times and enjoyed the experience. I have reservations there myself in August.

15. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Just got back from a week at Harry's. The folks there have always been nice, including the long term campers. I have never stayed in one of the rooms, so I don't know what they are like. We always camp in a travel trailer. Last week they only had salt run herring at $2 each, but Ned's and Hill's both had blue backs at $7 a dozen. Breakfast in the restraunt at Harry's was nothing fancy, just good old fashioned food and lots of it. I didn't eat any other meals there this trip.

I left my boat beached by the campsite several nights with no problem. One note on that, if the winds are from the north west, get your boat out! One guy didn't head the warning and spent the next day bailing water and sand out of his boat. Many pontoons have been beached by the north west winds at Harry's.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Agree completely with Tommys assessment.When Nate and Lynn Bristow owned Randolphs it was the best place to stay.After it was sold it has deteriorated steadily and I NEVER stay there anymore.I cant vouch for the shady happenings but I do know that when Nate and Lynn owned it I left my stuff out all the time and never lost so much as a sinker.I have never lost anything at HARRYS either,but you should secure your gear regardless.Food and rooms at any of the fish camps are just what you expect for a fish camp,if you want better stay in Manning.Have fun and catch some big ones.The lakes have come up almost 5 ft since the low point .:big_smile:

17. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's probably too late to arrange accomodations now, but there are a lot of rental properties with docks right on the water. It may not be a viable option now (considering the water is so low), but for future trips, you might consider one of those. If you and a few buddies split the cost, it wouldn't be much. Some places go for about $100-125 a night.

Anyway, just an idea for any future trips. I've had the opportunity to do that with a large group of family several times, now, and I've always been pleased with the experience.

Oh yeah, and this is my first post on the boards. Hellow to all you fellow anglers.

18. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Johnathan welcome to the BOC. I hope you will stay a while but be careful it can get addicting.

19. wild bill jp

wild bill jp New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Johnathan, thanks but it's just me and one other person but that is good to know for future references.
    I guess you guys have about covered what I needed to know regarding where to stay.
    Now..... we'll be down there in a few days and will post an update on how well we do.
    If anybody wants to give a few pointers for someone fishing out of Harry's, feel free. I am not above asking directions.....especially when it is to a good fishing spot.....
    Thanks again for all of the info.... Later, wild bill

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Try hitting the flats, shallow water, around the cypress trees in front of rocks pond at night with real fresh cut bait.