best place to look

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by bigjmm, Jul 1, 2009.

1. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    I have been fishing a lake that has channels in it but i am having a hell of a time catching them i have used cut bluegill, crawlers, minnows, livers, shrimp, hotdogs, and stinkbait. any tips. am i fishing in the wrong part of the lake i dont know just looking for help

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Ok well I would try shad. Also please discribe the lake to me are you fishing far out and how deep are you fishing also might try a slip bobber. Are you fishing during the day or are you night fishing?

3. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Head for a section that has a muddy buttom, cover, an inlet to a creek or river, or if you are fishing during the day, shaded areas. Have you tried crappie guts? They have produced good results for me on lakes.

4. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don't always fish the bottom in lakes..Some lakes stratify during the summer which will cause the fish to suspend off the bottom..Try fishing with a slip bobber rig..

5. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I had the same trouble last year, and finally switched to a bobber and started catching channels. Give it a try

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree with Les, try a slip bobber rig:wink:

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Jerome
    Lots of guys catching right now in Nebr. I suggest you ask around for advise on the place you are fishing. Right now night fishing rules. Welcome to the BOC
    Luck

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    try some chicken liver,and fish around structure.down trees in the lake,anywhere a cat can hide or find a little shelter thats where ya want to be.

9. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    These guys turned me to bobbers use multiple rods at different deph like james fish around structure stumps brush piles I fish at the mouth of a creek at my lake right along a channel early in the morning or late evening or night:wink: welcome to the brotherhood

10. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    The lake in trying to fish is pretty small it has a small creek feeding into it. its called skyview lake in Norfolk its darn near the middle of town but a co worker of mine was catching fish there on hotdogs.

But i am going to try the slip bobber out. thanks for all the positive input

This is a link to the lake. http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/fishing/programs/lakemapping/pdfs/skyview.pdf

11. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With out knowing what the lake's layout is it's difficult to say, but a couple rules of thumb are use a slip bobber at different depths, if your fishing the evening alot of times those channels are on top feeding on bugs, also it seems as everyone thinks you have to fish in the middle, when i have had alot of luck fishing close to the bank. Dont give up though.

12. bigjmm

bigjmm New Member

State:
    Norfolk Ne
    I also try a night most of the time but i do go in the day to try sometimes

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree most of the channels I've caught this year were just @ dusk and close to shore in shallow water..Looking @ the layout of the lake I would say try the south side of the lake..Looks like theirs a lot of shallow water close to the deep water..I would fish deep during the day and shallow at night..

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Fish those bobbers with live or cut bluegill right next to any big weed bed you can find.