Best place to launch to fish below Alton Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 10, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I need to know the best place to access the river below Alton dam.

I want to fish the tailwaters and take a little jog down to the confluence.

Plans have changed. I am leaving in the morning, 3 days of vacation, then the weekend.

Plan on doing some time on the water this week.:cool2:

2. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pull in at the FISCO station on the Mo Side of 367 before you cross the bridge going into Alton, and follow the road to the end, and you will be launching about 200 yards downstream of the Dam.

That is where I launch anyway. My bud tells me to launch at Columbia Bottoms, but I have never been there. It is on the MO river.

3. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    That's where I would suggest putting in as well. I like it because I can get bait immediately.

4. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    At the rate the river is dropping below the dam...we will soon have to be lauching at Columbia bottoms. The other ramp will put put you on mud in a few weeks.

5. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mud huh! You'd know about the mud.....:wink:

I pulled the boat up last night to the ramp, and he jumped out where he thought (AND I DID TOO) that it was dry. He went up to his knees.
    :smile2:
    Rather than address the problem at hand, all he could do was yell at ME!
    "WHY DID YOU PUT ME THERE! WHY DIDN'T YOU GO TO THE CONCRETE RAMP! STOP LAUGHING!!!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing. Looked like Dorf on Fishing.

xOZx is new here, and one of my best friends! I get to be the first to welcome xOZx to the BOC.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard xOZx. There are quite a few St Louis area folks here, so getting the latest news and updates are a snap.
    I found that mud one time. It was on the other side of the river, upstream from where Wood River creek runs in. Back then, the power plant allowed you access as long as you didn't trash the place. I got a bit lazy and decided I didn't want to walk all the way down to the point. Heck, I had a Jeep! Drove all the way down to the point with no problem and fished until late in the night. Forgot all about DEW! When I tried to drive out, sideways along that steep slope going down to the water, the Jeep almost slid all the way down on that slick stuff. About the scariest ride I ever been on.

7. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll get you back 3Duk...:cool2:

8. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Ok seriously, when I got to the "Dorf on Fishing" part I had a mouthful of almonds that almost landed on the monitor. I say almost, because they had to go through my nose, first.

9. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Alex, I'll be honest here...hanging around 3dukmn has had me holding my gut for years. If you don't come close to throwing up from laughing so hard during an outing with Todd...he must be sick...:smile2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    They just put coffee up in to my nasal passages too. :smile2: You guys are nuts. As soon as you said "dorf on fishing" I totally pictured your buddy standing there in mud up to his knees. I bet that was pretty darn funny. If that had been Kutter that leaped out into knee deep mud, I'd still be in the boat laughing. :tounge_out::wink:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    So is the ramp below the dam still deep enough I can get my 24 in?

Also, how do you get to the ramp thats at Columbia Bottoms? Is it in good shape? Is your vehicle safe there?
    Just full of questions today arnt I?:eek:oooh:

12. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    John take 270 to riverview go north on riverview about 2.5 miles it will be on your right theres a sign there follow the road back to the ramp.As far as safe I had problems last year but have seen several post saying the police patrol alot more know.

13. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We dumped 3dukmn's 20' in this morning. Should be ok right now but it is dropping and that ramp is gonna be useless soon.

I have put in at Columbia a few times without issue...might have just been lucky though. It's a good ramp.