Best place to film a HAWG in Feb?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by dsweet, Jan 9, 2008.

1. dsweet

dsweet New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Where would the best place be to fish for a giant cat (80 pounds and up) in mid Feb?

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My vote would be Texoma. The Southern California lakes, San Vicente and Lower Otay, might also be a good bet.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Seems to me there tearing them up on the James.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    On the Chickamauga in Chattanooga Tn.. Right out from the power plant. at the warm water discharge.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    There was a 90+ caught pre-fishing for a Texoma tournament last year by a guy. I think it was in Febuary.
    They are catching biguns on the James also wouldn't rule out the Mississippi.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Mississippi River near Memphis,Tn

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    In the fish tank at Bass Pro Shop:wink:

I wouldn't take a bet at 20 to 1 odds on catching a really big fish even with the best guide around anywhere. Three or four days just isn't enough time. Maybe ten or so years fishing everyday.:wink:

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd say that fishing the James would probably get you the best chance at a real monster at almost any time. It seems that the guys that fish there all the time always seem to catch a 40+ every time they go out. That means there has to be some serious fish in big numbers cruising that river. The Cape Fear river produces some BIG fish that time of year into March. Dunno what it is, but that's when the big boys come out. I know the past two years a local guide has caught 70+lb fish with some regularity during that time. I buddy of mine was hooking giant fish about every other day last year at the first of March. I've seem him whoop 50+lb fish on his tackle and he was calling me all the time telling me about hooking fish he wouldn't stop. Have I got you convinced to come to NC yet:wink:

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    80 lb. fish are hard to come by for anybody anywhere. All your usual big blue lakes and rivers could give up a monster in Feb. I know the TN River and its lakes are great for fish over 50lbs. in winter.

10. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As said above the Tennessee river and it's lakes, especially Kentucky lake in it's more riverine sections. The Mississippi would also be right up there towards the top. We've been pulling thirty pound fish out of Kentucky lake regularly and I turned one loose two weeks ago that would push 60lbs.

11. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    MS or TN I would guess.

12. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont know about the other lakes and rivers, but the "Mississippi" has that qaulity of fish in it! I would say if a angler does his homework and fishes long hours, he can spot some monsters on his fishfinder, but who knows when they'll bite!! I believe the Tennessee state record came from the Cumberland in the winter. The record book shows one date, but Jim Moyer said that it was caught in Feb. :eek:oooh:

13. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Update on Kentucky Lake: Commercial fisherman claimed to have pulled a 130 lb. fish out of a net North of Clifton, Tennessee a couple weeks ago. Commercial fishermen aren't allowed to keep fish over 36" here so he claims to have turned it loose without taking any pictures. Take it at that, very possibly a rumor, but there was a 125 lb. fish posted on the Ken Freeman Outdoors site that came from that same section of river a couple of years ago. It, I believe, was taken on a trotline. The picture had it hanging on a post in front of Adams' Bait Shop at Pickwick.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Don, I would say the Cumberland River, near Cumberland City, TN. during the Fish and Camp on Feb. 8th,9th and 10th. Come on and join us!

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    There's a 108 lber in Nashville, TN bass pro aquarium. :wink::smile2::smile2:

16. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I would say the Cumberland River or Santee......you can't count out the Ohio either....

17. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dan, that was funny right there, I dont care who you are!!There is a "couple" 100+ fish in that aquirium!!!!:cool2:Thats right...........they got put back into the Mississippi............................................:sad2:

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    DSweet, all that time you spent on the James and you have to ask this question? You know the answer already.

There was an 82# caught over the weekend.

19. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    dsweet come to fish an camp on the cumberland an film my boat you will see a p i g howg for sure no bs its a fact it will happen.:wink::wink:

20. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    You can film one for me on the ohio out of my boat lol. I think yuo best bet is the mississippi or any other big river system. There out there just got to find em.