Best place to book a float trip?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mandingo, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    now i have heard stories about the crazy float trips somewhere in MO. but i can never remember on what river.i am trying to get one set up for this summer and most sites that i have checked out so far says NO ALCOHOL!now thats not the kind of float trip i want to take!every once in a while Johnny Dare starts talking about the madness that goes on float trips somewhere in MO.has anyone ever been on one or knows where to look?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Your probably talking about the current river Caleb.

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    All the rivers can get pretty crazy in the summer with floater.
    Current, Meramec, Jacks Fork, Huzzah, Niangua and Gasconade. Been floating on all those.
    Just do a Google for "float trip missouri"

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Any of the companies that I know of that do floats on the river do not care what you do on the river as long as their canoes,rafts,paddles,seat cushions etc come back in the same condition they gave them to you in. That being said there has been a crackdown on the wildness of float trips. There are more water patrol and they have passed some new laws that affect some of the rivers, such as size of coolers, flashing, giving away beads etc. These new laws are mainly aimed at the people that act like jacka$$es get super drunk, flip their canoes leaving tons of trash from their giant coolers, harass people that are wanting to have a nice float not a party float.

The rivers are still fairly crazy on weekends especially holiday weekends. I would encourage you to tkae the time to google for the new laws to see exactly what they are all and how they are going to affect you. (So you at least know what you need to stop doing if there are water patrol around)

If you have an idea of what river you want to float I can give my suggestions of the areas to float and companies to use. I live about 30 minutes from the current and have floated it quite a few times so I know quite a bit about it. For the others I have less knowledge but can still offer up whatever to help ya out.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My thoughts excactly...Just be careful they are really cracking down on them down there now...Still it is a pretty good time but many ticket are being issued to the girls and has slowed things down on the river allot...Still is pretty wild if you hit it right...A crew from here in Effingham goes every year and has for the past 22 years...It has really changed...

Also a good float is the Black River check that out also...If you are looking for caves and such with deep holes to jump in and rope swings and scenery then I would suggest the Current...

6. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    not sure how far you are wanting to drive.. but there are a ton of outfitters in steelville, mo.. huzzah valley and bass river resort are two that cater to both family's and partyers... I have used both and had more fun than should be legal.

7. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks to all for the heads up on the new laws i will check them out first beforehand.it still sounds like a ton of fun!im gonna check out the current

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You might want to stay away from the Ozark National Scenic Riverways, Upper Current & Jacks Fork rivers. They have been writing over 200 tickets a week within the confines of the park for substance abuse alone during the warmer months. They have gotten real strict on floaters and campers both. They are trying to run off the party hearty crowd.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i went to bass river resort last year and floated the hoozah. its a blast. be REALLY careful about what you do. MSWP will be in camo in the woods watching you. drinking is ok but, if you litter, pee in the water or anything else you shouldnt do, they will give you a 500 dollar ticket or take you to jail. girls flashing have been charged as sexual predators.

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    If you're looking for a "party float trip"... I second Huzzah Valley and Bass Resorts. I've been to both of those quite a few times. And there's never a lack of partying. I have heard that they are cracking down on it big time though. I'm pretty sure they'd have a hard time slowing'em down to much. :roll_eyes:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The Elk river in southwestern part of state has alot of good canoe rentals. The smallmouth fishing is great. As far as liquor, just don't have glass bottles in the boat. This is a good law actually. There are alot of rental places in the Pineville area and the river fills up when the kids get out for the summer. I'ts a pretty river and I always enjoyed my floats.

12. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Ive been to the Salt River in Phoenix,Az and I bet its the best in the country all college girls and college kids getting crazy. They bus you their and your cooler full of beer fits right inside the inter tube. No glass and as much beer as you can drink I promise you will have a good time. I like going during the holidays. Ask anyone thats been their ive even heard about it on big comedy shows. Lots of fun and a beautiful place right in the desert.

13. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    im liking the sounds of the current river with all the caves and cliffs.i also would nt mind seeing some of those "sexual predators " that big muddy was talking about!:big_smile:its not a crime to look!

14. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    If your looking for a party river float I'd suggest the Meramec, but if you want to see some of the most beautiful scenery and water that Missouri has to offer I'd suggest the Current. The water is crystal clear and the rock bluffs that are along the river are amazing. But, like someone else said it's a protected stream and they monitor it intensely. To the point that they will walk right out of the woods when you stop at a swimming point and arrest you. The water patrol is gotten pretty crazy on all the rivers, but as long as you follow the law your fine and don't worry if your not they will be watching!

15. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We take our scouts on a float trip each year. we go on the Niangua just below Bennet Springs. The water patrol is doing a good job of taming the most outragious with out eliminating all the fun on the river. The trip is in general a lot better. There are several outfitters available very close to the conservation area where you put in. People are still having a good time but we no longer have to consider halting the annual trips. We used to see people underage packing half gallons openly. --- paddle:0a17:

16. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    YA I LIVE ON THE CURRENT RIVER A LITTLE SOUTH OF SALEM MO. THERE IS A CONOE RENTAL ABOUT 2 MILES FROM MY HOUSE . I KNOW THE OWNER PERSONNALLY SO IF ANYONE OF YOU GUYS PLAN A FLOAT TRIP ON THE CURRENT LET ME KNOW I MAY BE ABLE TO HOOK YOU UP.

17. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I guess you've gotta ask yourself, "Do I want to get numbingly drunk" or "Do I want to float/fish some amazing water?" Because if getting pathetically drunk is your forte, then you should just stay home. You're less likely to neither ruin everyone else's good time nor drown while trying.

But if having an otherwise great time is on your agenda, then take a look at the North Fork of the White River near the town of Tecumseh in southern MO (South of Ava on Hwy 5). This is some of the most overlooked smallmouth/goggle-eye/trout fishing in MO. Quality campsites are also nearby, and with the ample current even a 16 mile float won't kill you as long as you pace yourself.

However, being as I've firsthand seen a MSWP agent charge from the foliage (during a thunderstorm, no less) with his hand on his sidearm and then proceed to thoroughly shake down 5 canoes and every container therein, I can say with all seriousness that when you're on the Ozark Scenic Waterways, those folks mean business. Play by the rules and you'll have a great time that you won't ever forget.

18. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i agree with everyone.. they really are cracking down alot more. And for one i think it is great. I like to have a good time on the river and do.. but having floating frat parties screaming cuss words as load as possible and infringing on everyone else's good time is not my idea of fun.. i have seen water patrol going after these people.. and as far as i'm concerned.. good riddance.. boy that makes me sound old.. lol

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a cousin from Bunker that works/use to there. Do you know Harriet Harper? Actually she is my wifes cousin. Her husband is a Baptist preacher nearby.

Small world.

20. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    YA LIONWIZARD I KNOW SOME HARPERS FROM THE SALEM AREA BUT HARRIET DONT SEEM TO RING A BELL. PROBABLY WORKS FOR DOE RUN LEAD MINE . LOIVING IN THE BUNKER AREA. SMALL WORLD ISNT IT. :big_smile: