Best Pennsylvania catfish lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zeboman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What would you consider the best all around Pa. cat lake?

2. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    im gonna say western... best ive seen so far is mahoning dam up near dayton

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I only fish for cats in Lake Nockamixon and Greenlane Reservoir. Greenlanes been good to me since I grew up fishing it. The Nock is new to me so its still a learning experience but its got a high population of cats according to the pfbc's survey they did.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Foster Joseph Sayers lake in centre county has some nice channel that I've seen caught that go up to about 32 inches.
    I caught a couple smaller 18 inch fish through the ice this year.

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is a nice picture scott daw:smile2:

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish:cool2:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Lake Arthur is becoming well known for nice Channel Cats! My question is do we have any lakes with Flatheads in them?

8. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I've heard rumors there are flattys in Hertford Manor lake. A fishcommision guy told me that a couple years ago, whether or not he was BS ing me, I don't know. I heard another story about a guy being pulled around in a small jon boat there for 2 hours and never saw what was on the line. But I can't prove they are in there, guess I'll try it out this summer some time.

9. catman823

catman823 New Member

State:
    pa
    There are flatheads in Lake Rowena. It is a small trout lake in Ebensburg, PA.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There are flatheads is Springton Reservior and Blue Marsh Reservior.

11. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Lake Rowena is about 5 miles from my house. I know the fish commision site has a picture of a big flathead that says Lake Rowena but I think someone dumped it in there and the commision got it out when they shocked the lake a number of years ago. Believe me there's no flatheads in Lake Rowena unless I put em there:smile2:

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I went to the Pennsylvania Institute of Taxidemy not far from there in 93`but I never fished the lake,I was told by the locals it was a bass, trout, panfish lake.

13. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Blacky isent Springtown off limit's to fishin???

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Yes sir Jim! Closed because some rich girl got hurt jetskiing and no one can access the lake. Plus the million dollar homes and golf courses that pop up, the township doen'st eed any dirty fisherman around. Great Fishery!

I, myself, have seen a pic of a 68 lb flatheads caught by a man in the late 80's i a Chester County bait shop.

The story goes, the guys keep some small flatheads alive from a trip to Western PA. He lived on the Reservior and released them.

I consider this man the Granfather of Eastern PA flatheads.

15. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I've been catfishing Lake Artur for a couple years now. I like to go up there when the Ohio is too flooded to fish. I've caught several channels in the 10lb to 15lb range and I know there are alot bigger ones in there

16. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    Hey Blacky you said you seen a pic of a flathead that weighed 68 lbs. if it was caught in pa. should be a state record by about 20 lbs. that would have been a nice one.:eek:oooh:

17. mrguffy

mrguffy New Member

State:
    Pa.
    We enjoy fishing at Pymatuming reservoir and state park. It is a top of the line fishery, not only cats, but walleye,crappie,small mouth,carp,perch and a boatload of gills. There are 3 full service marinas, with everything from bait to boat rentals,(pontoons too rowboats) lots of fishing from the shore, campgrounds and picnic areas. a great place to take the family and wet a line.

18. bigrob2530

bigrob2530 New Member

State:
    pa
    thanks for the info

19. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    WELCOME to boc great tips in boc lib:wink:

20. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Donegal lake has some flatheads in it, not sure how many. i remember quite a few years ago the bait shop by the lake had a picture of a guy holding one that i believe was like 32 pounds maybe a little more. they have some nice channels in there too.