Best overall value for a casting reel is....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Boss Hogg, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I have to go with the new Tidewater series by Shakespeare. If there are some of you out there who dont want to spend more that 35-40 dollars on a rock solid reel, this is your best bet. Im sure that most everyone who has ever used one of these agrees. Walmart sells these so you can take them back if anything goes wrong with them. They cast like champs, have extremely loud clickers, have tremendious cranking power and large comfortable power handles. If any of you are on a budget, please consider giving this reel a try.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only thing wrong with mine is I completely wore it out within one year. Wasn't the manufacturer's fault, I just fished too darn much. Because it was use rather than a defect, I felt it would be like a felony, extortion, or some such thing to take it back to Walmart and trade it in. I got my use out of it though.

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hey man,i bought too of them and they both messed up on me.every time i would cast they would flip back in to gear in mid cast.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Id would guess its possable to get a new 9 or 209 penn for that price and id put money on it that the penns would last way longer. I cleaned a 209 and put a new drag in a 209 that a friend gave me and it works great. its at least 20 yrs old id say and looked like it hadent even been oiled or cleaned, side plate broken in half and all. cleaned lubed and ready to go catch a 60#er. Id also say okuma has some good cheep reels like the classics. ive had one for a couple years now and its cought alot of fish.

5. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i prefer a penn also , almost imposible to tear up but dont get me wrong the tidewater is a great real i have hade a couple of them

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A friend of mine bought one of these. I cast it a few times to try it out, and it was nothing like the ease and smoothness of an ambasadeur. It didn't throw as far either. I've actually picked up a few abmassadeur 7000s on e-bay for less than what the tidewater sells for at wal-mart.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Even for full price The Abu Garcia 7000's are a bargain. With a little tlc they will last a lifetime!

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000, is one of the best casting reels out there.

9. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I have never used the penn 209 and actually bid on a couple the other day. My brother gave me a 109...its not very good though.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Your post was the Best OVERALL value. This does not necessarily mean the cheapest price. You normally get what you pay for. I feel you get the best overall value when you purchase a quality product that will last a lifetime with normal maintenance. In this case I would pick a 7000c3 ABU. I agree with Brad.:confident:

11. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    The C3's are great reels. Expensive but great.