best overall bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thecatman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey guys i was wondering what everyone thought about what the best bait to use is fishing below a spill way producing a light-medium current on the river i would like to catch some big blues or flats last time i went i caught 1 channel about 4lbs on a fresh shad had 5 rods out each with a differant bait using live gills minnows dough bait shad and livers

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I would imagine that the best bait would be whatever that river holds naturally. ex. shad,gills,skipjack,suckers etc. If it was me I would put out both live and cut to see what they are in the mood for.

GOOD LUCK
    Bill

3. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Brandon,
    Your best bet for larger fish would be large and fresh gizzard shad. Other options are blue gills and cut bait from carp, buffalo or drum. For numbers of fish, I'd go with Secret 7 dip bait and smaller threadfins.

4. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    so basically i need to catch fresh shad gizzard shad prefferably and use that as well as the gills for larger fish and then the smaller threadfin shad for numbers and quality fish?

5. Team Tripple Fish

Team Tripple Fish New Member

State:
    mid GA
    gizzard shad or skipjack would be my baits od choice

6. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I second that !!!!

7. thecatman

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    last time i was at the river i threw the throw net a couple of times and caught a few threadfin shad and a few gizzard shad and a carp