Best OLD Penn spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by yotetrapper, May 2, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ok so I just bought a new captiva liveliner 6000. But we're allowed 2 poles here and I see a lot of old penn reels on ebay. "vintage". So what were some of the best old spinning reels, as I'd like to buy one for my 2nd pole.

2. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Here in the Noreast a lot of the guys and gals like Penn 710, 704Z, 706Z, Penn 650SS and up.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I own a coupl of the old Penn 704's. They were nothing fancy - don't think there's a bearing in the whole reel - but they are doarn near bulletproof. If you want to fish a spinning reel with 20 pound line, that might be a good way to go. Personally, though, I'd go with a baitcaster (Like a Abe 6500).

4. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I bought a beat-up 850ss (not to be confused with 850ssm or 8500ss) off eBay for < $40. I replaced all the bearings, gears, etc...so only the spool, handle, and body are original. The drag is definitely smooth (what else do you expect from a Penn?) and the spool definitely casts my 65lb Power Pro like it was 10 lb line. I've mated this reel to a 12' Daiwa Beefstick. I haven't hung a big fish on it yet this season, but when I do I should be ready.:smile2:

The 706z has quite a reputation, but they are very expensive. Don't forget to buy extra parts when you can...especially for the vintage models.

5. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    angela, I fish a lot of the time with shimano baitrunner 6500.I use 65lb prower pro. have taken flatheads to 35 lbs. took saltwater fish to 150 lbs. have never had drag failure.I have 4 baitrunners.I am going to find 2 more.
    robin--- catmanfl