Best North Carolina lake to fish for blue catfish

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfish1516, May 8, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    what is the best lake to catch Blue catfish in, in North Carolina, and for that lake what is the best bait.

2. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    kerr lake .....shad...

3. fishin`fool

fishin`fool New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have not been but i heard lake norman on cut bait makes for some big fish:confused2:

4. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I have not had the chance to fish it YET (for cats) but I would agree with Mack in NC.... KERR!!! bait of choice ..SHAD!!!! (the fresher the better)

I think Kerr holds the VA. record blue....

5. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I would disagree with you guys. kerr lake isn't the best in the state. You hear about more and bigger blues coming from Badin then anywhere. The Cape Fear is probley second for size. If you want numbers go to Tillery, Norman and Kerr. I would say that the new NC record will come from BAdin within a year. It's a possablility of a new record flat too. That lake holds so many flats it's not funny. The main reason i say this is because the food supply is there. There's huge pops of shad ,herring and whiteperch, along with tones of clams, makes a good combation for big fish. See-ya.

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I would have to agree with Tomahawk, I don't have all that much experience on Badin catfishing but I know from what he catches that it has the potential for the biggest blue cat. Tillery has a lot of blues in the 20 to 40 pound range, and a few a little bigger. All of those other lakes are good too. Take your pick.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I will jump on board with tomahawk. Per square mile I think Badin is one of the best and I agree it has the greatest potential for a new state record.

Norman has some nice blues, but there does not seem to be the number of large fish that Badin has for its size. Personally I have not had that much good luck on large blues in Norman.

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    no doubt about it badin is 1 of the best........but its hard to beat kerr...............even if half of the fish live in virginia the big ones can and do exist on the nc side also..............i doubt if any lake in nc this year has 2 like has been caught at kerr........a 79 lber and a 61 lber...........if you live in raleigh all you hear about is 40 and 50 lbers caught at kerr........if you live near norman you will here more about that lake

glenn hughes aka stump jumper

IP: 208.17.72.170

Apr 27, 06 - 7:23 AM big blue weighed

hello fellows warren called me this morning and told me someone weighed in a 79 pound blue at his store.
    Email: ghughes@gateprecast.com

glenn hughes aka stump jumper

IP: 208.17.72.170

Apr 27th, 2006 - 7:33 AM Re: big blue weighed

hi guys i just got another call from a friend and he said travis father weighed in a 61 pound blue yesterday as well the big blues are on the move.
    Email: ghughes@gateprecast.com

Toby

IP: 65.172.28.3

Apr 27th, 2006 - 8:36 AM Re: big blue weighed

Durn....79? And I been bass fishing hoping to catch a 5 lber!! See you all on Monday at the PUB for the meeting.

Toby
    jclayton78

IP: 65.151.191.98

Apr 27th, 2006 - 4:07 PM Re: big blue weighed

were these big fish released?
    Email: jclayton78@yahoo.com

law201

IP: 65.254.162.130

Apr 28th, 2006 - 10:25 PM Re: big blue weighed

The 61 lb. one was caught by a jugger so I DOUBT if he was released.It is ashame people keep the big ones like there will be no tomorrow.As many fishermen as is on the lake now it is going to take its toll if people don't use common sense.I know someone will probably make a comment that it is there right to keep it.That is true but if a man is out there on the lake on a boat he is not out there because he is starving as high as everything is to do with fishing.It is like that credit card commercial when they go on about how they can buy things with the card and then they talk about what they did with there child was priceless.It is a darn good feeling to turn loose a nice fish for someone else to catch and have a memorable time that they might remember the rest of there life.

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mack those are nice fish also but there has been a 68lber caught by tomahawk at badin in jan, there was a 70lber caught in march, and there was a 75lber caught a few week ago out of badin all blues. tomahawk got at least four over 65lbs last year along all by himself. i think he said 17 fish over 50lbs for him last year along. hes caught 4 over 50 this year that i know of. there was 90lber caught on a jug line a few years ago that was released back into the lake .. so there has to be several new state records in there. i forgot there was 83 lber caught there a few years ago. i ve been lucky enough to hook a few but never land them along with several others on here. im with badin myself but wouldnt turn down kerr either. i think im heading down there now.

10. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    that search for those 2 cats took me all of 3 minutes.........those are not just the only big ones....badin maybe better.....maybe not ...no way to really know........i think norman has the nc state record and kerr the va state record......couuld be wrong about that but think thats right...mack

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well it looks like we have two great lakes in n.c. because the ones i gave you was off the top of my head at 3.00 am. the three caught this year was r/r. who knows what the juggers are getting out of badin. i would like to see some post on the board about some of the fish at kerr. i live between badin and norman and if you want numbers then norman if you want size go to badin.

12. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i would say whicheverone you live closer to fish.....all are good.....why drive and extra hr or 2 to another lake...that hr or 2 extra fishing you may land the big un just because in my opinion you have to put the time in on the water.........badin did give me my biggest channel cat.........good fishing mack

13. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I agree, The lake that is the closest to home, that you can spend more time on, and learn, is the best.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Gaston Lake is directly below Kerr Lake....and although a lot of people don't know about it, I feel it could produce some record size Blues in the future.....I don't know how many of you all saw what happened a few years ago at the tailrace of Kerr Dam which is Gaston Lake, but there was a huge run of monsters in the Spring and anyone who saw that would know why I say it has a lot of potential. I just hope the fishing pressure stays light like it is right now there. There's only a handful of Catfisherman that catch the big ones, and then a lot of guys at the dam that catch mostly eaters except for the rare Spring runs that happen every once in a blue moon.

15. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I think that Badin has the absolute biggest blues in it from what I've seen. I mean fish over 40 lb. and up. Tillery seems to have the best numbers of good fish between ten and forty pounds. Man, on the right days down there, they'll wear you out. Norman has some big fish, but Norman can be tough to fish b/c of the fact that it is a huge lake. Bait is starting to get plentiful there, so soon we'll start to see more good fish. My experience shows an average at Norman about 3-8 lb. I know the stripers are getting bigger. It used to be that a 10 lb. striper was rare on Norman. I personally know guys that caught several ten pounders this year. I know of about 8 fish over 10 lb. caught and 2 of those were over 20. just my 2 cents. I'd rather fish Badin or Tillery and try to stay away from the idiots on Norman with their Baja's, speed boats and swarms of jet skis. later!!

16. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree fish wherever your closest to, b/c even if the lake holds trophy fish, if you dont learn it you wont have alot of luck catching,Probally. atleast thats how it works for me....I mainly fish Kerr, so it works for me...I also think Gaston has a ton of potential to be a trophy fishery...I've fished there only a handful of times, and Never left without catching fish...Biggest fish i've got outta gaston is 32 lbs, but i've seen some in the 40-45 range caught, If the fishing pressure stays like it is now, in 10 yrs, gaston will be on fire, if not before.

Good Luck wherever you go,
    Mike

17. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ok...now i got to try them all.....kerr lake first

18. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Norman does have some decent sized cats in it. I haven't jugged in a while, but we used to regularly catch 30-40 lbers. there all the time (blues). R&R is more difficult because of the large size of the lake. Sometimes it's hard to tell where they are hiding! I haven't fished Badin myself yet, but I trust catfishrus. Most of the people in this part of the state (the western half) would say that Badin has the biggest blues.

19. Halifax

Halifax New Member

State:
    Chester ,Va
    Ive fished kerr and its tributaries ,dan and staunton rivers alot over the past several years. The potential is there as seen with the state record.But you don't see or hear alot of really big ,50 plus fish being caught.The showdown tournaments probably average 75 boats a tournament maybe more and a low forty something fish is gonna win.Thats alot of boats covering alot of water.But you still have the RARE monster being caught.Maybe this is the same in carolina,soon to see.