Best North Carolina catfish lake for beginners?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by breadboy, Jul 24, 2006.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi all,

my dad got us a 16' Lowe Jon Boat, and I want to go fishing in a good sized lake with good sized fish. I wouldn't mind a mixed bag (cats, stripers, white bass, anything really), actually, I would like a mixed bag. Anyway, what is a good lake to go fish? Any tips?

2. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey kyle what part of NC are u in? We have lots of luck on the neuse river here in new bern.If you are near here and want to try it, PM me and i can tell you were to go to catch them (hopefully) lol

3. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I live in Fayetteville, I might try the Cape Fear, but I prefer lakes.

4. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    hey man i live in fayetteville too, im pretty new to the fishin here in fayetteville but have had alot of help and managed to catch quite a few cats so far this summer. the cape fear is nice cuz its more peaceful than the lakes, there are some big cats in there too, if ya wanna try the lakes u got shearon harris which is on hwy 42 out of sanford, or jordon lake which is up hwy 1 out of sanford. PM me or Fishing Fred or Mark J they are the experts around here,as far as this area goes and helped me the most and im sure we can get ya set in the right direction.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I think Jordan is pretty good you can anchor of drift on any of the channel edges with good results but the big cats are few and far between....plenty of whites, channels, hybrids and stripers...but allot of people like harris lake...

No matter what lake you decide the fresher the bait the better your results will be. You can also use fresh unshelled shrimp...

just like mudslinger said Mark j is one of the experts also maybe greggofish will chirp in he has been fishing the lakes around the raleigh area for many moons.... good luck!!!!

Remember the most important thing you need to catch fish is PATIENCE!!!

Good luck and keep us updated on your catches...

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    okay thanks. I was considering shearon-harris and jordan.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

kyle if you come up let us know we can meet you there

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok, but since cape fear is 10 minutes away, we might try that first when we have time. I'll tell you if we go there.