Best no snag sinker

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hopnbrly, Dec 2, 2006.

1. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Im sure that this question has already been asked but I am wondering what the Brotherhoods opionion is about a sinker that is best for not getting caught up in rip-rap(rocks)limbs,trees,shopping carts,tras,ect,(yes the areas that I fish sometimes have shopping carts and trash in them)What are your best sugestions?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No such sinker exists in todays world. Best bet is to fix the sinker on with lighter line so you don't loose the rest of your tackle when it hangs up. It is like the price of fishing in that area. LOL

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A pencil weight comes about as close to snagless as anything I've used, but the obvious drawback is a lack of holding ability.

Another approach is to leave the tag end on one of your terminal knots, and crimp split shot on it. When they snag, they pull off, rather than break off.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When fishing on rip rap, I do the break away rig like awshucks said. I use 30# cajun for the main line with a dropper loop to attatch a swivel and hook leaving about 8" of that line below the loop. Then attatch 15" of 15# line via an albright knot, then tie a bank sinker to the end of that. Knots must be good if using more than an ounce or two or the weight will fly off when you cast. You want it to be strong enough to get your weight back most of the time, but weak enough to break when needed.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would use 4 or 8 lb test line for a break off leader.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Aw Shucks is right on useing the lighter leader:big_smile:

7. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You got the good advice already by those who posted above here. That's about the best approach. Use sacrifice sinkers on a three way with a dropper leader and tie them off on a lighter line.

Depending on how much weight you use should determine how heavy the leader would be. Typically, I use 8 pound, but I don't have to throw more than a couple or three of ounces of weight. If you are in standing or still waters, then try using some split shots as was mentioned. They will generally just slide off and be gone and you cna be back in business in just a few seconds after replacing them.

If you don't want to spend money on sinkers, you can use the above techniques with old rust bolts, spark plugs or any scrap metal the weighs enough to get the job done. It don't have to be pretty as long as it works.

BTW - I've caught a shopping cart too. I still have and use part of it. After I got it landed, I filleted off the hinged child seat portion using a piece of discarded angle iron and a hunk of rebar that was laying on the ground where I was fishing, and released the rest of it unharmed into a nearby dumpster. It now serves a dual purpose as a campfire warming rack for my coffee pot, and when not by the fire, it's a real dandy rod holder.

8. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks everyone.Me and my wallet appreciate all of your suggestions and CatHound Ill also try your fillet idea on the shopping cart generally I just cut um up into steaks.Your way seems much better.

9. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I use rocks! I attach them with a couple of elastic bands (crossed over each, sort of like a parcel). The rubber bands are attached to the mainline with a clip swivel. The rocks get lost on the way in so you get a good contact with the fish during the fight. If I need to cast any distance, I tie the rock on with 15lb mono.

The rocks are cheap, but they also seem to catch more fish. If a wels touches the lead with its body they appear to get an electric shock of some kind and spook. I've seen it happen with my own eyes. A German guy who was a scientist gave me an explanation as to why this happens, but it was over my head... Maybe someone in the BOC knows. I started coating my leads with rubber or epoxy resin and caught more fish, but that was way too much hassle! So I switched to rocks (no metal) a couple of years ago. I also try and cover swivels with little bits of silicone. This trick seems to make the most difference in heavily fished areas and with trophy sized fish. It's not night and day, but I reckon the difference between consistently successful and generally unsuccessful is the cumulation of a series of little edges.

So a question: do flatties and blues have the same reaction? If they do, you might be missing out on some cagey big fish!

:smile2:

10. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Weights are like golf balls. That is just the best way to think about it. It is just a cost of playing the game. You are always going to loose a few sinkers especially when fishing for catfish. Catfish are normally found in structure so you are bound to loose some. Best rig I have found is to use a drop sinker on a paperclip that you put a loop in the top for your main line and a split sinker at the bottom holding your weight on. This way you just put another sinker on with a split sinker and you don’t worry about the leader length changing or tying up a new one.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Check out Blackwaterkatz post aboout flexible sinkers. They are very inexpensive to make and are almost snagless. All you really need is paracord (without the white core), #4 are 5 shot are splitshot, swivel and a heat source like a lighter. there are several other ideas in the Library also.

12. grg34b

grg34b New Member

State:
    St. Charles, MO
    X2.....I am about to switch to rocks as well

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One place I surf fish, It's not uncommon to break off 20 times or more a night. My record is is now 9 casts and 9 break offs in a row. I usually have no fewer then 60 leaders on hand and about 12 pounds of sinkers with me. When I go to the tackle store to buy pretied surf leaders they have them on a closed loop. You count off what you want and take them off the loop. I just pick up the whole damn loop and let the cashier count what's on it.
    Why do I fish there?
    If you aint hangin, you aint fishing where the fish are.

It is the price of success. Dragged a many a citation red drum out of there.

had an old fella introduce me to this spot a few years ago. While we were fishing it people would see us haul in some big ol red drum and want to ease on in. We would sit back crack a beer and let em have the spot.
    These are the paper sack fishermen. They got a few leaders and a few weights in a paper sack. After they hang up and break off, they clear on out of there.

Hanging up is a mental thing. A lot of people can't handle the frustration.
    As I'm driving to the coast to fish this spot, I already know I'm going to be tying leaders on all night long. I'm mentally prepared by the time I get there.

I've surfed fish about my whole life. I've seen weights embedded in truck radiators and laying on the front seat of truck where it went through a windshield. Seen people that were hit with weights that fortunately weren't seriously injured but could have been.

I don't worry about breaking off. I just break it off. Sacrificing a weight? Casting the distances we do you'll kill somebody trying to set up a sacrificial weight rig. Way too much energy in that type of casting for that kind of thing.
    You aint fishing if you aint hanging.

14. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Mark I agree 100%. If the bottom is clean the fish would not be there. In some places I bait up real good and hope for a big bite because if you move it you are hung up.

15. fish24/7

fish24/7 New Member

State:
    Pa
    "If you ain't snaggin you ain't catchin"

16. okiefisher64

okiefisher64 New Member

edited out double post :mad1:

17. okiefisher64

okiefisher64 New Member

There used to be a baitshop in Webbers Falls Ok that used to sell 4oz sinkers that had 4 copper wires (1/8 diameter) coming out of the bottom of them about 2-3 inches long. You could spread them out and curl them up a little and they were great for not getting hung up on the rocks. That baitshop is long gone and I rarely fish the dam from that area anymore. Back then they were about .45 each

They would be very easy to make. Pour the lead then insert the wires into the pour hole before the lead dries.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yep, that's my hole.
    Most times when the rig hits bottom it's hung.
    The only thing to save the rig is for a fish pick it up.
    Depending on the tide and the surf conditions sometimes you can use those to your advantage in unhanging it. Even if you do get it back, you need to retie.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

A spider weight.
    There are also the break away weights where the spider legs rotate to release the hold. You reset them and cast again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dmSIBvDj0