Best net for catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Mar 26, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im getting ready to buy me a new net and I want one big enough for big cats. What is the best size to get. I have seen some giant ones used before, but Im looking for one that will be able to handle a big flat or blue if needed. What size do you suggest?

2. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mine is so big that I can swoop up a garbage can No Prob,Iv netted some big cats with it 40lbs +........

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I like the free easily stowable version you dont trip over and its never in the way. It has 5 fingers.
    To me its part of fishing and the fight.

4. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I do use a big net sometimes mostly in tournaments.Alot of times I just use my hand.Each situation is different.I decide to use a net on a per fish situation.Such as is he a monster that keeps thrashing after he sees the boat,are we in heavy current,is an anchor in the way,and so on....If you are going for the monsters you need a large net I have never seen a net too big.A net big enough to hold a garbage can would be perfect if your boat was big enough.Hand vs. Net is completely up to you.If you buy a net make it a big one!

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Check out ur local Wal-Mart, they have some big landing nets.

6. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have landed some pretty good sized flats and channels with my hands, but sometimes I would like to have a net with some of the places I fish.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Frabil makes a big net.

8. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    Just be sure you get one big enough. I've losta a couple fish with ones to small and lost fish when i didn't bring the net cause i didn't want it in the way....lol

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catfish Connection has a selection of nets. They have one that is called the Big Cat. The catalog # is BC5. If you have their catalog iit is listed on page 75. I hope this helps. :lol: :big_smile:

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I would also recommend a rubber net, less chance of anything getting tangled.
    Don't use any of the "fish friendly" nets that have the micro netting for cats, only thing they do is to get tangled up with fins and hooks.
    Will

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    In 2003 I got a flathead on a jug that his head would not fit in a 14 inch net. I am convinced he was a world record. he got off. since that time i have carried nothing smaller than a 32 inch round net. I could have easily gotten that fish if my net had been big enough. my wife tried to get the small net over his head and he attacked it. if it had been big enough he would have charged right in.

13. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Loki makes some good nets.

14. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    I would get a pretty big net so you have no trouble getting them Big cats in