Best/Most Successful natural baits for bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Ravensmavsfan, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    What, from your expierience, are the best natural bass baits.
    For me it goes like this:

1.Goldfish
    2.crawfish
    3.Night crawlers

2. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Crawfish and worms from my experience and let me say I don't have to much but I have caught some nice bass biggest was about 7-8#

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Shiners, nightcrawlers. I have not tried goldfish, I don't know if it is legal in New Jersey.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say a six ought kahle hook, a large sinker and hook those bass through the lips...put them to work. LOL When I bass fish, and actually that is quite often, I use artificials. I have been having real good luck the past 5 or 6 years throwing a white spinner bait made by H&H lures. Really cheap, about $1.39 per lure. When you compare it to the other spinners at $6.00 a pop, you are not very hesitant about throwing it into good bass cover. Second most favorite bass lure is a "Black Fury" spinner bait made by MEPPS. I use the number 3. Then when all else fails, I go to a purple/grape worm. If I can't catch bass on these 3 lures, they can't be caught. Lol

5. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    Almost forgot another good one frogs although I haven't been able to keep one alive for to long.

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    2-4 inch live bluegills seem to do best for me. Theres no telling what youll catch bass or cats. But if Im targeting bass with artificials I agree with aw shucks, a white spinnerbait is great. Probably my favorite lure, next would have to be a popper.

7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

live snakes also seem to work good if ur not afraid to catch them. ive seen people catchin bass 10+lbs. im gonna try them this season. frogs are also one of my favorites, live or artificial. i caught my largest bass, 9lbs on an artificial SnagProof Frog.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Big shiners are By far My favorite big bass live bait!!!

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    u was crappie fishing in a little pond system in santee ca and i caught a 16 .9lb bass on an ultra light setup with 8 lb test hell of a fight i caught the female on a small shiner hooked threw the tail i hope this helps

10. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    For me, and most others here in N. Alabama, it's yellowtail (threadfin) shad. We net them by the dozens in the fall and catch bunches of good smallmouth below the TVA dams on the Tennessee River.

Also hear of folks catching and using wall walkers (log perch).

11. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i mean i was fishing

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The largest Bass that I ever saw,was hooked but not boated.It hit a 11 3/4 inch Bass that I was reeling in.It was caught while Crappie fishing.The large Bass hit beside the boat and knocked or slung the the smaller bass into the boat,where I later measured it.The wire crappie hook was not the right hook for a large Bass.Large Bass also love full grown Bull Frogs.You guys catching bait for big Cats?Good bait.peewee-williams

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I like using "Large Minnows" or "Crawdads" drifted under a bobber. :0a23:

Take It Easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

14. keller54

keller54 New Member

State:
    IL
    FROG

15. pickens pete

pickens pete New Member

State:
    s.c.
    Spring lizard.Small bream/bluegill under a float.

16. HookedUp

HookedUp New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if it is on the bed you can throw just a big nightcrawler on a hook in its bed and whamm. other than that i would say bluegill

17. CaptLeo

CaptLeo New Member

State:
    SC
    Nightcrawlers work well for me. I don't use Goldfish since the use of Goldfish is not only illegal in SC and GA (where I do most of my bass fishing), but it can introduce an invasive species into a body of water (think about the asian carps, or the Pakus (type of pirahna) that have been invading our waters.

My other choice of natural bait for bass is large minnows.

I've also used some chameleons and skinks, as well as small breams.

And I've caught some largemouths while using crickets fishing for bream.

18. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Just depends on what time of year it is, right now I am wearing them out on spinners, jerk baits and Zoom speed craws!

19. TonyInKS

TonyInKS New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    My favorite big bass bait is a small to medium sized bluegill or sunfish/perch fished under a large styrofoam float, when the bass takes that bait it reminds me of Jaws when the barrels are cruising through the water and suddenly disapear, lol.