Best Months for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BIGCATFISH64, May 5, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I live in Muncie, Indiana and plan on fishing the Ohio alot this year for Flatties, what months are the best time to fish for these goliaths? since I am not well versed in the art of flathead fishing:0a21::0a35::dribble::0a23:

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    IT ALL DEPENDS ON WERE YOU LIVE AND IF ITS A RIVER A LAKE, OR A POWERPLANT LAKE, BUT HERE IS MY ADVICE MID MAY CLEAR THREW THE END OF OCTOBER, THEY GET A LITTLE SLOWER FROM MID JULY TO MID SEP TEBER BUT NOT MUCH, BUT IF I HAD TO SAY A MOUTH ID SAY SEPTEBER AND OCTOBER, BUT THIS VARIES ALOT, I CAN SAY WINTER MONTHS ARE NO GOOD AROUND HERE IN ILLINOIS, FOR FLATHEADS, BLUECATS LIKE COLD WATER, HOPE THIS HELPS, WATER TEPS FROM 55 TO 80 IS IDEAL, FOR FLATHEADS

3. catback

catback New Member

State:
    virginia
    well here in virginia big flats seem too start bitting when the water temp get around 65 to 70 deg. and they go until the water temp gets back low again . around here there is not particularly a big flat month its just when the water temp goes up they turn on all season long

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    LIKE I SAID ID ASK ON YOUR STATE FORUM TO GET A MORE DETALED ANSER EVERY BODY OF WATER IS DIFFERANT TO AN EXTENT

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Kentucky and Indiana, May and early June Pre spawn period (SMOKIN):wink:

Then again in Oct/Nov as they gather up in bunchs getting ready for the winter's Big Gathering.:wink:

:eek:oooh:If you can find a school of these,,You will be in for the fishing experience of a lifetime..:cool2:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    SEE THERES NO REAL AWNSER, BUT ID AVOID NOVEBER THROGH MAY, UNLESS YOUR IN A COOLING LAKE HOT DITCH, BUT I AGREE WITH FLAMEKEPER, SPRING AND FALL, SUMMERS GOOD TO, BUT NOT AS GOOD,ALL MY BIG ONES WERE CAGHT IN THE FALL, BUT I FISH A POWERPLANT LAKE SO ITS DIFFERANT

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Yep I was gonna say " MAY " and " October ".:wink:

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Flatheads: Differs from other catfishes by the following combination of characteristics: notable flattening of the head between the eyes; long, projecting lower jaw; large, flaplike adipose fin, separate from the caudal fin; relatively short anal fins with 14-17 rays; squarish caudal fin; elongate backward extensions on the premaxillary teeth; saw-edged pelvic spine; and 9 pelvic fin rays.

Spawns in late spring and summer at water temperatures of 22-29 C. Eggs hatch in 6-8 days at 24-28 C. Sexually mature in 3-7 years, depending on conditions. Males attend eggs and fry for up to several days after hatching.

Oldest reported specimens were 16 and 20 years old.

Habitat Type: Freshwater
    Non-Migrant: N
    Locally Migrant: N
    Long Distance Migrant: N
    Riverine Habitat(s): BIG RIVER, Low gradient, MEDIUM RIVER, Moderate gradient, Pool, Riffle
    Lacustrine Habitat(s): Shallow water
    Special Habitat Factors: Benthic

Habitat Comments: Most abundant in large and medium-sized, low- to moderate-gradient rivers and reservoirs. Highest growth rates generally occur in turbid, relatively shallow areas and in lower portions of streams. Adults occur in deep holes created by swirling currents, often among or near piles of drift, tangled timber, or other cover. Young often found in rocky and sandy runs and riffles.

Spawns in secluded shelters and dark places such as hollow logs, riverbank holes, rock crevices, and among submerged timber, at depths of 2-5 m.

Adult Food Habits: Invertivore, Piscivore
    Immature Food Habits: Invertivore, Piscivore

Food Comments: Eats mainly fishes and crustaceans (especially crayfish); may sit-and-wait on bottom or actively forage at night, even in shallow riffles. Adults eats piscivorous; smaller individuals eat fishes and benthic macroinvertebrates; young-of-year eat mainly aquatic insect larvae.

Adults move from deep water or cover to feed in riffles and pool shallows at night In Arizona, preyed on reintroduced razorback suckers

Adult Phenology: Nocturnal

Immature Phenology: Nocturnal

Phenology Comments: Feeds mainly at night but also during day when water is turbid

9. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    We rented a cabin down in southern Indiana, for 5 days around the Derby area on Poison creek Early June 7th-11th we'll be fishing the Ohio river there and was just wondering if I would have a good shot at a nice flathead then!!!:eek:oooh:

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You'll be hitting them during the best time of the year( prespawn) if the water level permits...up in the mouths of feeder creeks, log jams and behind rock piles and the like,,You will find some for sure..:big_smile:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Just got off the phn with my Bro, Hes on the water now fishing a all nighter for flatheads and between him and his son and stepson they have already caught 9 fish 1 blue and 8 flatheads,:crazy:,fishing live bluegills and comets(goldfish).:big_smile:.at this rate they might have a boat full in the morning.LOL..They too release all flatheads and Blues( only channels are kept for the frier.unless one is foul hooked to bad. Then it goes in the bag..:cool2:

OH! OH! I almost forgot; that tells me that things are about to happen around here in a great way ...Flatheads that is :big_smile::big_smile:

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    May is a good month in ohio from past yrs expereance

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Last year I fished hard in June and July and could'nt buy one. Started catching a few in August and caught a few each month all the way into November. In April of this year I caught 4 but they were all small 1-12 lbs. Seems like 55 degree water temp and above is the ticket but the spawn will leave you empty handed too. Find out when the spawn runs through on your body of water and fish for channel cats during that time.
    After the spawn its on!

14. BluecatSC

BluecatSC New Member

State:
    SC
    For me on lake hartwell it is July and October.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Down here in SC my favorites are April, May and October, November. As you are way up north there, I'd guess you are looking at May, June and September or something like that.

Like Slik said, ask on the local lake or river page and you'll get local knowledge.